Hello Guest

hotwireing the 91 sammi

• 3 Replies

hotwireing the 91 sammi
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »
so i got my haynes manual for the sammi in today, and i plan on heading out to put some work in on it this weekend.
   could anyone give me some advice, in the other thread bashzuk said "by pass the whole thing to find out if it's electrical.
You should only need the wire to the starter and the wires from the coil to get it to turn over
that's what we did on my race engine. remember to turn the ignition to the on position"

could anyone help me out with explaining how to do that? i believe it is most likely an electrical problem , if i could get it to run just long enough to get somewhere to get a diagnosis i would be extreamly happy

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: hotwireing the 91 sammi
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »
There is a four wire plug under your dash.  One is your hot, one is for acc, one is for on, and the forth your starter.  I actually have a plug built for starting my 410 up when I forget my keys.  Sammy's do have a steering lock though, so it's not like you can go anywhere if you forget them.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline bashzuk

• Been zuked lately!!!
    • BashZuk's web page
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »
Have you checked every ground wire you can see in the engine bay are they tight?
Have you made sure all the positive are tight. Loose grounds on the carb can kill you :P

ok here's what we did we ran the hot wire to the alternator nice big thick cable.
had the battery ground hooked up. turned the key to the start position aka ON
we then had a wire from the positive coil to the battery.
now there is a wire that goes to your starter that is just for starting this wire I took and I unplugged it from the set up it was hooked to put a longer wire in it and held it in my hand and touched it to the battery violia rig fired right up :) To turn it off simply turn the key off or pull the coil wire.
Turning the key off is much easier.

If you see a flaw in what I remember please chime in and correct me.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU USING THIS ADVICE AND HURTING YOU OR YOUR ENGINE.

So be careful, look up a simple starting diagram on the web call a buddy that knows a whole lot about cars. I can look at the wires in my engine bay since we have ripped out every other wire but those needed to start it up. This may take me until after sunday since my rig is an hour away from me in a shop.
Mean Green Wheeling Machine
88 Samurai 1" Shackles SPOA with 32" Tires
It's not a Jeep thing, it's not a Suzuki thing, or a Chevy,Ford thing.
It's a wheeling thing now get out and do it!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »
ok, i do have the wireing diagram in the haynes manual, ill get to it, and i got a friend who is a  mechanic who will come help me out. hopefully i will be doing physical harm to the local environment in no time hahaha j/k