Hello Guest

EGR valve burned out and stuck open.

• 4 Replies

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
EGR valve burned out and stuck open.
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Well my kick has been VERY good to me over the years.  It's been faithful and reliable to me all while going to school.  Well now i'm all done and sored a great job, so I want to give back to my car.  I ordered a new top and am fixing and replacing everything i can to get it up to near perfect conditions.

I babied it a lot so not alot mechanically needs fixing.  But it does need a timing belt and 4WD t-case  replacement.  I took it in to get an oil change and while there i told Phil (a mechanic friend of the family) that the car gets gas mileage like Humvee.  It's a horrid gas guzzler.  He frowned and looked at my Tracker and said "that thing is a gas guzzler"!?  He said he'll take a look at it and see if he can figure out what's wrong.

He told me after looking at it he's in shock the trackkick runs as good as it does, it's a factory freak.  He told me the EGR valve is so worked over it's burnt completely out and stuck in an open position.  So I asked if he could fix it and he told me he's too busy but it should get fixed very soon.  I called a few shops and they want $300 or more to replace.  I busted out my Haynes repair manual and it looks super easy to fix.  Is this something i could do on my own?  Anyone have any tips or tricks for fixing it?

I bought an EGR valve to be safe and will probably stary on it on my next day off next weekend but i want to make sure i got everything i need...is the valve all i need or do i need anything else?
  [/url]

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
Re: EGR valve burned out and stuck open.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:19:24 PM »
It is easy to swap out, and while your at it... clean the pipes that connect to it...
I have a spare tcase if you want it. It is the original one out of mine... I bought a case, installed gears, then swapped em... Let me see if I can find a EGR link...
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline pepatt

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 05:20:24 AM »
So I asked if he could fix it and he told me he's too busy but it should get fixed very soon.  I called a few shops and they want $300 or more to replace.  I busted out my Haynes repair manual and it looks super easy to fix.  Is this something i could do on my own?  Anyone have any tips or tricks for fixing it?

Make sure you check your CAT.

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=21312.msg178710#msg178710

Two things strike me here:
1. gas guzzler  (from an EGR? ???)
2. Mechanic too busy to make an EASY $300? ???

My guess is your EGR is the way it is for a reason. Better find that reason FIRST!

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1f/09/b7/0900823d801f09b7/repairInfoPages.htm
pepatt

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
Not the cat, the cat is new...the problem isn't.  I thought the same thing.

Just to be sure I checked it today and the cat is fine.  I also checked the EGR and it's got a sh*tload of carbon build-up.  I'm also going to get the 02 sensors checked.  He's too busy to fix it on his own (away from the garage) where he'd have to charge me $300.  probably alot less in his driveway...but that will be a while, i want to fix this as soon as possible.  I'm quite knowledgeable about the mechanical aspects of fixing a zuk...but never had one long enough to have to replace any emission parts before.  So this is new to me.
  [/url]