Hello Guest

samurai drivetrain problem

• 2 Replies

Offline mikesova

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
samurai drivetrain problem
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:37:31 AM »
I've been noticing a problem with my samurai, I thought I was driving it when i first started it and it was cold, but its happening now when its warm. 

Here's what's going on. I can take off "ok" and get through 3rd gear and get going about 40 mph and in 4th gear, if I give it more gas it just sends the RPM's up but no more power to the wheels.  I am assuming this is something in the transmission/clutch area.  It's got about 60,000 miles on it, and I'm pretty sure it was just a daily driver before I got it. I've only very rarely/lightly wheeled it in the last year.  I wouldn't think it would need a new clutch and it doesn't seem to have the tell tale signs of a failing clutch, i.e. smell and hard time taking off.  I've had a bad clutch in a jeep and i know what it's like.  is it possible I just need to adjust the clutch? i've been driving it for about a year and it just now is starting to happen within the last month. any ideas. thanks. 

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
Re: samurai drivetrain problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
I would try to adjust the clutch first. It really sounds like it is somehow slipping. Check the clutch cable as well and see if anything has happened to it.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.

Offline Donald_R

Re: samurai drivetrain problem
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
Perhaps the rear main seal is leaking oil onto the clutch. This might explain the slippage without the burning smell.

Seals go bad from old age. The rubber material gets a little stiff allowing oil to slip past.