Hello Guest

PCV Valve Leaking

• 7 Replies

Offline Hynzer

• ZUKIWORLD ROCKS!
PCV Valve Leaking
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
Hey,

I was hoping someone can give me some advice here.  I have a 1995 Sunrunner, with the 16 valve engine.  I checked my PCV Valve and is has room to wiggle/pop in and out, in the rubber intake gasket its in.  I noticed some light oil in and around the PCV valve.  Is there any problems associated with running a loose PCV valve?  And how would I go about fixing this.  Is it as simple as popping the old rubber gasket out and put a new one in?

Also, I lately, I noticed my car dies after driving for about 20-25 minutes in the rain/puddles.  Only in rainy/wet conditions.  I have no idea what it is, hoping it was related somehow.  I ran ethanol gas, and sea foam to clean out tank then changed the fuel filter.  Kinda has me stumped.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

C

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
Re: PCV Valve Leaking
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »
A leaking PVC system can cause poor idle I believe. See this:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1f/09/44/0900823d801f0944/repairInfoPages.htm

As for the dying in wet conditions, that sounds like something is bad in your wires/distributor areas, if they have any cracks the water will cause it to stall or run rough. You can test it out by running the engine when all is dry, and spraying water on the distributor, and wires.
Replace the plug wire, cap and rotor and it should solve the problem.

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »
You'll just need to get a new grommet for the PCV valve to fix that problem.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline moatmonster

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
Got my grommet at Autozone.  Was cheap like 2or 3 bucks or something. 

Offline Hynzer

• ZUKIWORLD ROCKS!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »
Thanks for you help!  Really appreciate it.  I will pick up the new grommet and swap it in. 

I tried emptying water on the distributor/plug wires etc.  No change.  Weird - only acts up after exactly 20-25 minutes of use, in rainy conditions. RPMs shoot up then down then up, then stalls out, and wont start for 10-20 minutes afterwards, no matter how much I turn the engine.

Thanks again,

C

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
is the windshield leaking on the ECM???
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Hynzer

• ZUKIWORLD ROCKS!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »
I will check.  I have water that pools on the ground sometimes, but traced it to hardtop leaking in the back above the tailgate.  I will check for any leaks coming down from the windshield area.  Is it difficult to pull the dash board off to do a full inspection?

Thanks,

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
is the windshield leaking on the ECM???

That was my thought. I had a vehicle in the past that died every time it even got damp out.  Turned out that the connector going into the computer had a bad contact or two. Ran flawless when dry out though.

-Adam ;D
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb