Hello Guest

front and rear lockers on an xl7.

• 10 Replies

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
front and rear lockers on an xl7.
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
ok, so if a guy with an 2002 xl7 wanted front and rear lockers, what would have to happen?

use a kick 3rd member in the front? and swap out the rear axle with one from a gv? and down grade to a 26 spline rear?

i have read so much info with conflicting part interchanges, my head hurts lol

im kinda thinking arb....at least for the rear, and perhaps a lock rite for the front

or, i may just bite the bullet swap my locked toy axles and dual t case set up in.

02' XL-7 1 Ton axles, dual t-cases 37's etc......
Trucks are built not bought*********

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
Re: front and rear lockers on an xl7.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:04:20 PM »
ok, so if a guy with an 2002 xl7 wanted front and rear lockers, what would have to happen?

The Resurrection.  Or Apocalypse.  One of those.  I get them confused.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:04:02 AM »

use a kick 3rd member in the front? and swap out the rear axle with one from a gv? and down grade to a 26 spline rear?

i have read so much info with conflicting part interchanges, my head hurts lol

im kinda thinking arb....at least for the rear, and perhaps a lock rite for the front

or, i may just bite the bullet swap my locked toy axles and dual t case set up in.

OK the front would need to have the shift-on-fly removed (their's a write-up for it) and what ever locker fits a 96 to 98 sidekick installed (not to bad)  The rear??? to date no one that I know has been able to make a locker work for the rear xl-7 diff.  options would be down grading to a GV axle with a sidekick 3rd install or a lincoln locker. and I won't even start to talk about R&P's

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
ok as far as i know, my xl7 has 5.12's  in it already, so even if i did do a rear gv housing swap, and installed a kick 3rd, the gears wont be an issue.

with that said, it was the pre 03 gv rear axles that can use sidekick rear 3rds right?

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
ok as far as i know, my xl7 has 5.12's  in it already, so even if i did do a rear gv housing swap, and installed a kick 3rd, the gears wont be an issue.

with that said, it was the pre 03 gv rear axles that can use sidekick rear 3rds right?

You'll need some significant driveshaft alteration to make that work.  It'll need to be lengthened, and the XL-7 uses a 3 bolt flange vs the rest's 4 bolts. 
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline 2K1USGV

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
For the work involved I woulod just go toy sas.

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
yup sas , that's the plan now. besides, the wife wants it sas as well.  we will do  a simple 3 link front and rear, i may even use the stock coils and see if i can get a stockish ride out of it, ill see what the front coils do under different leverage from a solid axle rather than ifs.
it wont be much taller than it is now, ill take the 3 inch body lift out and d sheet metal work to clear 35's, keep a low stance and try not to make it too much of a heat score.

should be fun  ;)

-Lance

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »
Weld the rear.

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 01:36:46 PM »
i have actually thought about buying a spare 3rd and welding it, and just swap it in if we want to go on a trip lol

because the truck is still a full time dd/ commuter, a welded diff is not quite practical. hahah

Offline 2K1USGV

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
yup sas , that's the plan now. besides, the wife wants it sas as well.  we will do  a simple 3 link front and rear, i may even use the stock coils and see if i can get a stockish ride out of it, ill see what the front coils do under different leverage from a solid axle rather than ifs.
it wont be much taller than it is now, ill take the 3 inch body lift out and d sheet metal work to clear 35's, keep a low stance and try not to make it too much of a heat score.

should be fun  ;)

-Lance

Good, take the bodylift out and do as said. I plan on doing the same, and it's funny that you mentioned keeping it low, because my plan was also to keep the center of gravity as low as possible while running 33' to 35's. You'd have to push the front axle forward, but that will give you a better approach angle, same goes for the rear and the departure angle. I would however go with the EMU coils. Make it more of a 4wd desert runner/off road vehicle rather than the rock climber most people try to go for.

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
i should be able to keep it about the same hight it is now, it may look somthing like this.....

it almost looks like a cartoon lol

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:16:41 PM by sir lance »