Hello Guest

Sidekick Winch Bumpers

• 2 Replies

spyder0069

Sidekick Winch Bumpers
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »
I got my smittybuilt xrc-8 in today and am working on the plan to get this mounted.  Initially I was thinking to low budget something with my minimal welding skills and try to make a mount that worked with the original bumper.  Now I am thinking maybe I should just do it right and get a winch bumper.  One thing I am hoping for is to not have to weld my new bumper on as I want to use it on a future vehicle when this '92 sidekick craps out.  So far I have seen the shrockworks and calmini bumpers with people giving the nod to shrockworks.  Both of those being in the $500+ range.  I found a basic winch bumper from trailtough.com for $329.  Anyone have any reviews on it?  One site description said mods may have to be done for it to work with a body lift (which is planned).  Any input on that?  Also with this tube style bumper would it still be street legal?  The kick isn't a daily driver but it will have to get itself to the trails.  If anyone has attempted a homemade mount I'd love to see pics of that too! 

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
Re: Sidekick Winch Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
The trailtough is the lowest priced option out there.  Maybe if you call brent at trail tough he could tell you what would be involved to adjust it for the body lift.

I have the shrockworks bar, which you have to order with 0, 2, or 3" body lift brackets.  I really like it.  I used to have an ARB, but you have to modify the bar and the mounts to use it with a body lift.

1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline j2custom

• Suzuki's rule!
Re: Sidekick Winch Bumpers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
I was looking for a cheap (cuz I hate to spend $ on something I can build :laugh:) front winch bumper and finally built one.  I will try to post some pics. 

Check out ZOR offroad too.  Similar price to TT but different style.  HTH.  Whatever bumper you buy would have to be modified for the body lift unless you do it first and modify the mounting brackets. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:50:42 PM by j2custom »
2001 Chevy Tracker 4 door 2.0 5 spd 4x4
1995 Geo Tracker 1.6 8V 5 spd 4x4
2005 Tundra Crew Cab Limited 4x4
 It's not what you buy... it's what you build