Hello Guest

Body Lift Bumper Brackets

• 2 Replies

Nicksidekickin

Body Lift Bumper Brackets
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Ok guys i got another question does anyone have a template for a 2inch body lift bracket to move the front bumper up. I making me a body lift and to make it go fast i was wondering if any of you guys had on or a picture of one. Its for my 96 sidekick by the way.

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
Re: Body Lift Bumper Brackets
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
There is no quick way to raise the front bumper.

1) What you need is two 2" tall x 3" wide x 1.5" deep pieces of rectangular tubing. Then notch out the top 2 corners on one face about 1", and angle the bottom of the same face with a grinder to roughly match the angle of the back of the bumper (the bumper is curved, not flat).

2) Remove your bumper and using a drill, drill out the spot welds holding the mounting bars on the bottom of the bumper. Remove the mounting bars once all the spot welds are drilled out.

3) Bolt the 2x3 tubes to the frame, but don't tighten the bolts. They need to be loose so you can adjust them to the shape of the bumper.

4) Slide the top two bumper mounting brackets INTO the 2x3. If you put it on top, your bumper will hit your grille (at least this was the case with my 2" body lift). Using a separate bolt and nut than the ones holding the 2x3's to the frame, bolt the bumper to the 2x3. You may want a buddy to hold the bumper in place while you do this, as it is tricky.

5) Take some metal about 2 to 3" wide and about 5" longand put a 90 degree bend in it. Bolt or weld it onto the lower bumper mounting bars which are still separated from the bumper. Once these 90 degree pieces are attached, bolt the bars back onto the frame and have someone hold them up as you weld them back onto the bumper.

It sounds like an awful lot of work but it really isn't that much. It looks a lot better with a 1/2" gap between the grille and bumper than 2". Sorry, no pics.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Nicksidekickin

Re: Body Lift Bumper Brackets
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:33:09 AM »
does sound like alot of work, but it is helpful thanks for the info