Hello Guest

trasfer case problem

• 5 Replies

shade

trasfer case problem
« on: January 19, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
i bout the tracker in april and have not taken it off rode much but we had some nasty snow in wi last month and i meen the slipery icy crap
enyway i had it in 4 low for a short time and it did not want to shift back out is this a big problem
2000 chevy tracker 4x4 converteble 2.0 automatic
if you know i'd love to hear
shade

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: trasfer case problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »
Actually, you should bring the truck to a complete stop, put the transmission in Neutral then shift out of 4 low.

That is how mine works and - I believe - what the owner's manual requires the operator to do.

You CAN shift from 4-high to 2WD if you are careful, but I always try to do transfer case shifting at a complete stop.

Hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

shade

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »
thats what i did but it sounded like grinding a manuale with out a cluch

Offline RHodge

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »
thats what i did but it sounded like grinding a manuale with out a cluch

I was looking in my owers manule for my pathfinder and they recomend puting the trans in park before shifting from 4lo to 4hi (with auto) It must stop everything from spining, it seems to work

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:37:32 PM »
Yep. the '93 Sidekick manual says that you must stop the vehicle completely and put the transmission into neutral before shifting from 4L to 4H.  It further suggests the following:

"If your vehicle has an automatic transmission, it is recomended that you stop the engine when shifting the transfer lever between '4H' and '4L' .  If you shift the transfer lever between '4H' and '4L' with the engine running, be sure to shift using a quick, continuous motion, without pausing in Neutral"

One would assume that this applies to shifting either direction - 4H to 4L and 4L to 4H.

I have recently performed a 4L to 4H shift at a complete stop with my foot on the brake and the transmission in Neutral while driving in snowy conditions.  If the vehicle is moving while trying to make this shift, I get a grinding sound.

Hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

shade

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:22:38 PM »
think it dose thank