Hello Guest

dome light bulb replacement

• 6 Replies

Offline joezuki

• zukiworld rocks!
dome light bulb replacement
« on: December 14, 2007, 05:22:45 AM »
Before breaking anything,  does anyone know how to pop off the cover to get to the bulb without breaking anything?  there doesn't appear to to be any slots to put a small screwdriver in to pry.  Being flush mounted, there's nothing to squeeze & pull.  Any help will be appreciated.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
Re: dome light bulb replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:09:31 AM »
Use a thin, preferably somewhat wide-ish screwdriver or whatever blade to pry out the lense from the longer sides (front or back).  Easy as can be.  It won't put up much of a fight.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline joezuki

• zukiworld rocks!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:21:46 AM »
I pried gently on all 4 sides, and when it didn't come off easily, I figured I'd ask first.  At lunch, I'll put a little more effort in, now that I know which side to pry on.  thanks...

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
The lense, though, not the interior-colored plastic bezel.

If you look real closely in the little crack between the lense and the bezel, you can see the two (per side, front and back, 4 total) little tabs that will disengage to let the lense pop out.  They're closer together on one side than the other, but I can't recall which.  Either way, if you pry first about 1/4 of the way in from an end, and then 1/4 of the way in from the other end, you're sure to get it done.
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline joezuki

• zukiworld rocks!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
OK, all came apart well.  Bulb was dead, put a new one in, but dome light does not work.  Checked bulb and it lights.  checked fuse & its ok.  Not sure what to check next.  Just bought the tracker last month.  There are 2 wires hanging down from the ceiling that seem like they're supposed to connect to the rear view mirror.  Are the two on the same circuit?  Any ideas what else to check?

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »
Well, first thing first, the 3-position switch on the light itself isn't set to totally off (as opposed to "on" or "door control"), right?

After that, I'm not sure.  My Tracker has two map lights on the rearview, but the XL-7 instead had map lights in the headliner above the mirror (as I recall).  Not sure what you've got.  They are on the same fuse as the dome though, I'm pretty sure.
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 01:04:31 AM »
OK, all came apart well.  Bulb was dead, put a new one in, but dome light does not work.  Checked bulb and it lights.  checked fuse & its ok.  Not sure what to check next.  Just bought the tracker last month.  There are 2 wires hanging down from the ceiling that seem like they're supposed to connect to the rear view mirror.  Are the two on the same circuit?  Any ideas what else to check?

I had the same problem .  Mine turned out to be bad contact between the bulb and the holder - needed some fine grade abrasive paper application.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.