Hello Guest

nology. Hype or Real?

• 24 Replies

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: nology. Hype or Real?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 12:43:54 PM »
I have been doing some research over the last couple of days. and while I am convinced that this wire/capacitor technology has merit I don't think it is the best way to go. CDI produces a spark which contains more energy but for a shorter duration. A IDI (Inductive Discharge ignition) (standard ignition) produces a weaker spark but for a longer duration. A multi spark CDI produces multiple high energy pulses for the same duration as the IDI does. This I believe is the best solution for low rpm heavy demand situations such as we experience off road. I have used the Jacobs Omni Pack in lil Suzy for 10 years now and it has not failed. I also have the secondary trigger so if the Jacobs system ever fails I just need to plug the coil wire back into the stock coil and drive home. The secondary trigger is just a converter which changes a coil burst to a points style pulse to trigger a second ignition system. It is fully compatible with the off road multi-spark ignitions made by Jacobs and MSD and as i said can be bypassed if they fail. Of course if the OEM ignition fails be sure to know how to hook up the aftermarket ignition direct.
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »
I have been doing some research over the last couple of days. and while I am convinced that this wire/capacitor technology has merit I don't think it is the best way to go.
I think it may be PERFECT when you're running at 5k plus RPMS.
Does it "hurt" at lower RPMS? Dunno, probably not, but my question has always been, does it help?
So, sure "big daddy" loves them when he's screaming at a drag launch. That helps me how?

So, this thread is "hype or real?" ... they are not the "hype" of say "fuel line magnets", but still the question of are the "real" remains.

I *have* looked at their website, and read _some_ of the endorcements ... but where's a dyno pull of a before/after? I don't want some dragster charts ... show me a stock 4 banger vs that same engine with nology wires (and with a necessary retune) ... is it really THAT hard?

I would think that nology *should* do this, but because they haven't, I have to *cough*.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

phloop

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »

There isn't a seperate capacitor that is connected to the wire. The wire core, the insulation and the metal shield ARE the capacitor. The wire is the positive plate, getting its charge from the coil. The negative plate is the shield which is connected to the ground strap.

Rhinoman, thank you. Ever since I got envolved in this thread all I was looking for was how the wires worked. After the many post of go check out the web site (which did not have this simple info), you have posted a quick easily understood explanation. Or at least posted it a way that I understand. :laugh:

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 09:34:10 PM »
Does it "hurt" at lower RPMS? Dunno, probably not, but my question has always been, does it help?

At above 3,000 RPM there is not time for a CD ignition to create multible sparks. So at 3,000 or above these wires work like an expensive CD ignition whether or not one is better than the other I don't kinow. I think it is safe to say that you are going to get at least most of any gains you see above 3,000 RPM

phloop

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 09:59:01 PM »
Don't qoute "me" on this but isn't MSD short for Multiple Spark Discharge? ???

Doesn't that mean the ignition system will fire MORE than once during the firing cycle? ??? ??? :o

All "I" am going to say. ;) :laugh:

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:38 AM »
Don't qoute "me" on this but isn't MSD short for Multiple Spark Discharge? ???

Doesn't that mean the ignition system will fire MORE than once during the firing cycle? ??? ??? :o

All "I" am going to say. ;) :laugh:

Yes and Multiple Spark Discharge ignitions fire the ignition multiple times during the combustion cycle right up until about 3,000 rpm when the cycle becomes so fast that there is not time for multiple discharges. At which point the ignition only fires once per combustion cycle. Please don't ask (how do it know?) The ignition doesn't change the length of time changes.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
Please don't ask (how do it know?)

RPM is calculated by measuring the time interval between input triggers (f=1/t). Its a pretty important measurement because ignition advance is calculated from a look up table of rpm v manifold pressure.
Multiple Spark Systems are CDI - it takes too long to charge/discharge a coil to make a multiple spark Inductive system. A multiple spark CDI is needed to get the higher power of a CDI spark with the long (effective) duration of an inductive system. Of course you could just uprate a stock system with a high power coil and open up the plug gap.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 02:03:07 PM »
RPM is calculated by measuring the time interval between input triggers (f=1/t). Its a pretty important measurement because ignition advance is calculated from a look up table of rpm v manifold pressure.

You got a little ahead of me on this one? Are we talking about a pressurized intake manifold or exhaust manifold?

OK never mind I got it...

Since measuring the pressure inside the actual cylinder would be highly impractical, engine management systems use the intake manifold pressure.  Newer vehicles have what is known as a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) gauge or sensor.  The absolute pressure measurement has the normal atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi or 1 bar) factored out of it, so a full vacuum would read zero and normal, sea-level atmospheric pressure would read 14.7 psi on an absolute pressure gauge.  In the engineering world, this differs from gauge pressure which really measures the difference between atmospheric pressure and the thing that one is measuring.  For example, your fuel pressure would be read in gauge pressure, and the units would technically be "psig" as opposed to "psia."  If the fuel pressure was 30 psi (psig), it would actually be 30 psi over atmospheric pressure.  An absolute pressure measurement is used instead of gauge pressure so that the vehicle's management system may include the surrounding barometric pressure and know what the "real" pressure inside the manifold is.

Of course you could just uprate a stock system with a high power coil and open up the plug gap.

This is an alternative granted, however as I understand it the reason for the CDI is because it generates pulses almost equal to the first spark. In an induction ignition the energy falls off after the spark is formed. I do agree that this setup will enhance the performance of the engine. How it would compare with a CDI I don't know
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:05:17 PM by sidekicksrock »

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
I should never have read the first post when it was in the other topic.  This weekend my #3 wire crapped out while driving, and basically completely stopped providing spark to the plug.

Went to the store, bought the $30 borg warner wires, and it's working fine again.

It's a good thing i wasn't planning on buying the nology wires, because I would have just wasted $30 on these...
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

phloop

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »
 ;)