Hello Guest

tracker brake problem

• 9 Replies

Offline 93trackaddict

• projects under reconstruction
tracker brake problem
« on: December 01, 2007, 05:57:31 AM »
Has anyone else experienced this problem? My brakes work great. I have put on all new rotors, drums, pads, shoes, etc. Problem is when trail riding at slow speed after some time you go to hit the brakes and the pedal drops as if the power booster is not working. The brake lite comes on the dash but still have good enough brakes to stop. When it does this, if you pump the pedal once or twice everything comes back to normal. I have no leaks and have not had to add any fluid. The brakes have been like this for a year or so.

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: tracker brake problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:58:11 AM »
If you have done the Hagen widening but didn't adjust the steering stops, when you turn the wheel all the way it is compressing the caliper against the A arm or spring I can't remember. anyway that is what was causing the problem on my truck. I adjusted the steering stops and all is well with lil Suzy's brakes now.
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline JoeCool

• Carpe Noctum!
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »
It could potentially be having the pistons push back into the calipers. Vibration causes the calipers to spread to the point where pushing on the brakes will bottom out the master cylinder turning on the brake light. I can't say this is what's causing the problem and I don't rightly know the answer to fix it but it is known to occur.
5psi turbo '90 2dr 5spd 8v Tracker, Lt235s, 1" spacers, Rocker Rails, Warn Hubs, Custom half door,--GONE!
New, Sammi Tintop

zheernasir

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
not 100 % sure
but could be leekage internaly in the master sylinder\pump
easy to chek but dont remember how to.

maybe someone else does.

cheers

kingzoo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »
   It sounds like the power brake booster is getting weak,or is not recieving enough engine vacuum.Try checking the line first,it might be leaking or collapsed from age.

zheernasir

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »
something like if u brake hard then the brakes will work fine.
but if u brake slowly then the brake fluid will leak past inner seals of the pump.

cant exactly remember the theory, and therefor cant garanty anything.

best of luck

Offline JoeCool

• Carpe Noctum!
    • cardomain
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:58:20 PM »
A bad MC will slowly sink to the floor when held with light pressure usually noticed at a red light. This is caused by fluid leaking passed the seals back into the resevior.

Pressing against the spring could be likely but will only happen at full lock.
A bad booster or low vacuum will cause a hard pedal but not a low pedal and will not turn on the brake light.

To figure it out try sitting in a parking lot and repeatedly cranking the wheels lock to lock and see if you have any pedal left, get under it and check for clearance. Try sitting and lightly pressing on the pedal and see if it slowly sinks to the floor.
If the pedal disappears after miles of wash boards with out using the brakes then it's the vibrations.
Just to be safe check all your lines for leaks and the paint around the wheel cylinders Brake booster and any other painted parts around the brake lines and system for leaks.
5psi turbo '90 2dr 5spd 8v Tracker, Lt235s, 1" spacers, Rocker Rails, Warn Hubs, Custom half door,--GONE!
New, Sammi Tintop

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
Has anyone else experienced this problem? My brakes work great. I have put on all new rotors, drums, pads, shoes, etc. Problem is when trail riding at slow speed after some time you go to hit the brakes and the pedal drops as if the power booster is not working. The brake lite comes on the dash but still have good enough brakes to stop. When it does this, if you pump the pedal once or twice everything comes back to normal. I have no leaks and have not had to add any fluid. The brakes have been like this for a year or so.

We've covered this before.  It only happens when you turn at lock, and it is because your brake caliper is hitting your spring.  With a 2" or more lift, you have to adjust the steering stops so that it cannot turn as hard.

In the driveway, turn the wheel full lock to one side and take a look at how close the back of the caliper is on the spring.  Now, at full down travel or up travel, that is most likely touching and unloading the hydraulic pressure that's supposed to "brake" the car.

Here's the extensive topic I started when i had the same problem a few years ago.
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9139.0
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »
Here's another link, same idea, different board.

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,46197.0.html

His result is the very last post.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline 93trackaddict

• projects under reconstruction
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 06:25:28 PM »
great pointers, I definitely have some troubleshooting to do. One note I would like to add: Sometimes the brakes will feel as if the power booster is making almost too good of pressure, it will stop on a dime with what seems to be only a slight press of the brake pedal, other times the opposite happens. The most noticeable problem is when trail riding at slow speed for long times. On highway feel could easily be not noticed by someone who does not know what to expect from this vehicle. I will check the provided links, thanks again