Hello Guest

will a sidekick front or rear gears match a samurai's?

• 11 Replies

87 sammi

will a sidekick front or rear gears match a samurai's?
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
I have an 87 samurai and a 89 sidekick that I am taking the motor out of. I want to use all the parts i can off of it before i send it back to the junk yard. Will the front or rear end gears match up the the samurai's because i think the kick has 5.12s and that would save a ton of money on gears. any one know of anything else that would be worth saving off the kick?

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: will a sidekick front or rear gears match a samurai's?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »
The front will fit the back will not. You will need another set of maching fronts to make the set.
Student of Now Master of Then

phloop

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »
Or you can get ahold of Trailtough and buy a Zuki Hybrid rear end housing so you can use the Sidekick rear third member. Nice set-up, I have one in my Zuki.

87 sammi

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »
so if i can get 2 front end assembly's they will fit both the front and rear of the samurai?

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
Yes, You probably want to install the Sidekick R&P in the Samurai third members. The sidekick housing is not as strong and only has a 2 pin carrier. There is a modification which needs to be done to keep the pins in place. several companies make a (can) which goes over the pins, I have heard that a proper size soup can will work and also that a hose clamp has been used. Perhaps others can fill in these details. When I installed the Sami carrier in the front of lil Suzy I used the can which Hawk Suzuki Parts sells.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:08 PM »
Also you will need different side gears depending on what year Sidekick you get.  The pre-96 Trackers had 22 spline front ends where the 96 and up have the larger splines for the rear end.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

87 sammi

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 05:55:47 AM »
so if im right, my 87 will have the 22 spline front end? so with a little mod a front end off a pre 96 tracker or kick will fit?

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:31:13 AM »
so if im right, my 87 will have the 22 spline front end? so with a little mod a front end off a pre 96 tracker or kick will fit?

This could be a perfect opportunity to upgrade your axles to 26 splines, you will not regret it I promise.

Offline locjaw

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »
FYI a few early 89 sidekicks had a 1.3 liter carberated motor in them. the ring and pinion's in those are 5.62's
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »
If the rear Kick 3rd is a late model 12-bolt type, the sidegears work in the Sammy carrier.

87 sammi

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »
if i were to upgrade to the 26 spline...is there any easy swaps or is this a new part? im trying to build this thing up on a college student budget so anything to save money is a good thing. if i dont do something like the 26 spline and stick with the stock 22, i can get the front ends off a tracker or kick pretty easily and pretty cheap. so as long as that will work, i may just do that. what do you all think?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 03:58:42 PM »
26 Spline requires either Heavy Duty Calmini Axle Shafts with stock birfields.  Alternatively you can switch to the Newfield joints and get strong Birfields at the same time.  Low Range Off-Road has all of them listed.

89-95 Trackers have a 22 Spline side gears on the front end.  The housing is aluminum so it may break if you hit it hard enough.  But is a direct swap into the front end of a Samurai.

96 and up (I forget what year they switched to the next gen) have 26 spline side gears in the front end.  A direct swap into the rear end of a Samurai.  Still aluminum though.

The best bet for a college budget, forget the diffs and buy lower range transfer case gears.  If the Tracker is a manual transmission pull the gears out of it and sell them to someone on-line to help pay for the new T-Case gears.  If you are lucky and they are the 5.62 gears you have a real gem on your hand for a Tracker owner.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing