Hello Guest

Differential Fluid Change at 7K?

• 11 Replies

Offline zskysXL7

Differential Fluid Change at 7K?
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:26:03 PM »
New to the board and I'm really impressed by all of the lift posts.  The XL-7 belongs to the wife and will stay stock.  I noticed in the owner's manual that a 7K fluid change was required for the differentials.  I have a 2002 XL-7 that's past this point without the fluid change.  I'm on 17K--it doesn't see a lot of mileage.  Anyway what's with the fluid change at 7K?  The next one is not at a 7K interval.  It's just a drain and fill correct, you don't have remove anything?  The XL-7 has pretty much been trouble free.  Only had a power steering issue fixed under warranty.  The tires did go rather quickly.
02 Suzuki XL-7 (stock)
02 KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L V6, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Spring Lift, Command Trac, ARB BullBar, Goodyear MT/Rs, Skid Row Engine/Tranny Skid Plate, Mopar Front and T-case Skid Plates, Hidden Hitch w/WARN Shackle Receiver Bracket, Hella 500 Fog Lights, Cobra CB & Firestick Antenna, and a bunch of factory options

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: Differential Fluid Change at 7K?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 04:01:39 PM »
The first diff change is just a drain and fill.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline xoffroad

• PaWheelers
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 01:52:20 AM »
The first one is part of the break in period. You drain and fill to remove any shavings the ring and pinion had during break-in.

Better late then never. May want to change it again in 5k just to be sure you got everything out. But then again, really, how many people actually do this? Besides myself I can only think of a handfull of people who buy new and stick to the manufactures recomendations for break-in.

Also do yourself a favor and use Synthetic gear lube. The drain plug on the XL7 is magnetic so most if anything is cought by that.

Offline FlyinGN

• 2002 XL7 Limited
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:02:25 AM »
I feel this is very important. Suzuki uses a break in fluid and its very important to change this out at 7500 miles. Ill bet if you don't and down then road you have an axle failer they will give you a hard time on a warranty job if you did not follow this manufactures maintenance schedule.:)

Frank

XL7Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:42:16 AM »
What is the recommended fluid to put in my differential, other than the OEM?  Is there a DIY out there  ???

everready1937

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 04:59:16 PM »
It should be in your manual. Make sure you can bust the fill plugs loose *before* you remove the drain plugs. Spray some penetrating oil on the plugs and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. To fill the diff you'll need some kind of pump mechanism. I used a water bladder/hose to fill mine. I did the rear yesterday and did the transfer case and front diff this morning. Drive the truck in 4WD before you do the front diff. If it's cold outside, bring the oil in overnight to warm up. It is much easier to work with when it's warm. It's a pretty easy job, but it can be messy.

XL7Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 11:46:50 PM »
Cool, appreciate the help.  I totally new xl7's and really wanna saev my dad some $.  Can you give me any more insight on how to do this  ??? 

Thanks!

everready1937

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:43:26 AM »
Not really.... It's a pretty straightforward job. Just crawl under the truck and find the front, rear diff and transfer case. Then, mentally walk through the steps that you'd go through. Maybe even take some notes.Talk to the staff at Autozone... On my GV I just needed a 3/8" ratchet and a cheater bar.

Offline FlyinGN

• 2002 XL7 Limited
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 03:56:42 AM »
and some sort of hand pump to get the fluid out of the bottle and into the diff. Because you can't turn the can upside down to pour in.. one like this..

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200008074_200008074

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 07:58:51 AM »
As I recall, you'll need to slightly raise the front to fill properly, as the fill hole is too low.  Or something like that.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline FlyinGN

• 2002 XL7 Limited
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:05:52 AM »
its not needed..

As I recall, you'll need to slightly raise the front to fill properly, as the fill hole is too low.  Or something like that.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:00:27 PM »
They fixed that by 2002.