Hello Guest

New Here

• 33 Replies

nprecon

Re: New Here
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 07:06:54 PM »
SWEET!  Thanks for the product test and review (and for finding this thing).   25$ isn't a huge investment either.

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:26 AM »
Well, I had a look at that EBay listing, and it says better fuel consumption because it gives better fuel efficiency.

However, on the chart it actually admits that the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio is best for economy (as everyone knows).  So a lower ratio (i.e. more fuel for the same air) is bound to reduce economy.

Now any company which makes claims that are so obviously untrue would make me back off completely.

I think there's also a lot of technobabble in that ad.  Talk about not needing error checking, for instance.  As far as I can see all the thing does is reduce the voltage out of the air sensor, so where would error checking apply?

To my mind it's a higher class scam than the cheapo resistors - I'd want to see before-and-after dyno records (not the butt dyno!), and fuel consumption records before giving it any credence.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:47:49 AM by IanL »
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

wezeles

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »
like i said it does the same thing as any other IAT sensor chip... it just tricks the motor into thinking its getting colder air so it feeds more fuel... all of them claim better fuel economy but there is no way it is going to be better... they already lean them out so far for the economy we get now... to get any better would risk engine damage... the only reason i picked this over the other 5 dollar ones is because its not just a resistor... you can pick up a 5 dollar resistors at radio shack and toss it inplace of the sensor... keeping the motor always running the same IAT reading... this is an acctual chip you can take it apart and see it.. granted it does the same thing as a resistor would do in the end... but it still takes use of the sensor and adjust the fuel air ratio.. just by kicking it down a few points from what the sensor says... highway driving i dont see any differance but cruising around town when i would normally get about 25mpg it seems to be more at 22 or so but it is a nice differance in power... not the best but good for the money

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »
... highway driving i dont see any differance but cruising around town when i would normally get about 25mpg it seems to be more at 22 or so but it is a nice differance in power... not the best but good for the money

That makes sense, because in steady state driving, the air/fuel ratio is controlled using the lambda sensor, and the chip would have no effect.  It only comes into action before the engine is warm, and when accelerating and decelerating.

It would be nice to have a switch (maybe mounted on the gearshift) which you could use to bring the chip into play only when you wanted the boost.  That way it would hurt your fuel consumption even less.  Combine it with a dash lamp and call it a power button and everyone would want one  ;)

'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.