Hello Guest

Locked with Lower Gears!

• 4 Replies

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
Locked with Lower Gears!
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:05:07 PM »
Well....my 5.12 diffs are in, including a rear Lock-Right.  So far, the locker is predictable on pavement, with only a little binding on tight corners and the occasional tire chirp or mild clunk/shudder.  Since I had a 4.30 ratio in my 5 speed, I'm now slightly overgeared, but not by much.  The speedo is now a little over the actual speed.  Heck....maybe it'll save me getting a ticket....NOT!   >:D RPMs are just a little higher than stock, but are not going to be a problem.

Unfortunately, my mechanic didn't quite understand that I wanted to lose the air diff in the front, as well as re-gear.  He pulled the ring and pinion from the aluminum Sidekick carrier and installed them into my steel GV carrier, then reassembled the air diff set up.  Kind of a bummer, although here is the bright side:

One, I don't have any hybrid axle/CV shafts to deal with.  He had new boots and clamps put on my axles, had them packed with grease, and reinstalled them.  If something breaks, I don't have to worry about what part of the axle is Sidekick and what part is GV.

Two, I'm not putting in a front traction device....and, if I ever decide to, I can always have them do the axle shafts at that time.  I will retain the Sidekick parts.

Three, I already have the lockout WARN hubs, so the axles won't be spinning unless 4wd is engaged. 

Still, the air diff could be a liability on the trail.....so I'll have to be prepared for that possibility by inspecting the air hose and connections on occasion.  So far, it seems to work just as it did before.  Hopefully the air pump doesn't go bad.  :(

In other news, I was hoping that the new diff in the front would cure the banging sound I get in the front when using the 4wd.  Unfortunately, it's still around.  Makes me wonder if it's the transfer case.  Brent at Trailtough thought it might be the diff moving under load and hitting the crossmember, but now that it's been retorqued that theory becomes less likely.  Plus...it doesn't have to be under a heavy load.  Even when it's not working that hard it still does it.  Oh well.....I'll have to get it looked at, eventually.

Now, I just need to do a little more trimming in the front wheel wells.  Then, I'll go find some wheelin' and let you know how I make out.

1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline Davyboy

Re: Locked with Lower Gears!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
Oh yeah....I'm sure you're all wondering about the power increase.  The 5.12s make it pretty dramatic, compared to the 4.30 with 31" tires.  I'll probably see an increase in miles per gallon as well.  I had dropped to only about 16-17 mpg after putting on the 31s, even with a K&N and Iridium IX plugs.  I'm hoping to get back to the 21-22 I had been experiencing before the larger tires.  Being slightly overgeared might cost me a little on the highway, though.  Of course, I'll need to account for that in my mileage figures.  Will keep you all posted.
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:07:30 PM »
Sweet.  Good to hear man.  I know when I went from the 4.30's to the 5.12's in my Tracker the difference was night and day. 8)

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:26 AM »
Well...I don't have any mileage figures yet, as it's only been a few days with the new gearing.  However, I'm going to hold a "welcome back party" for 5th gear!  Wow, I can actually accelerate in 5th gear.  The power difference is huge.  I have to watch my highway speed carefully....the slightest amount of pressure on the gas pedal and she creeps up past 70mph.  Seems nice to have the extra power!  Did drive on some wet pavement last night with the Lock-Right.  Wasn't bad at all....so far it's quite predictable. 

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 01:27:02 PM »
Keep correcting yourself that there's no difference in power...you're just using it better now.

The horror stories people tell about lockers are largely exagerations.  I still wish I had been a bit more employed and had more cash when we did my gear swap last spring.  The Tracker'd be much happier with a locked or welded rear end right now.

Dunno what you'll see but I saw a real 2mpg increase after the gear swap.