Hello Guest

Tire Recommandation?

• 17 Replies

mydentedvit

Re: Tire Recommandation?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »

A 235/70R16 may also fit but the slightly added width may also make them rub the frame rails in the rear of the front fenderwells slightly when the tires are turned all the way.  Again nothing damaging but just an additional area that particular size rubs.

will 235/70R16s still rub the frame rail with a 1 1/2" coil spacer lift in the front?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:46:19 AM by mydentedvit »

nprecon

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
On my last 2002 Tracker (4 door) I ran Michelin 235/70/15s LTX M/S radials on the stock Tracker 5.5" steel rims... without any lift on it.  No problems.  On my current one (no lift on it yet either) I put a set of Michelin 235/75/15 LTX M/S radials on it (stock 5.5" steel rims again) and I noticed when I fully turn to the left, i get some frame rub.  But that's it.  The 75 series was probably 1/2" to an 1" taller than the 70 series tire. 

I know when I hit a LARGE bump gong fast I can bottom out the rear end but this only happened once so far.   I still intend to to put a lift on buster, I still have not decided between coil stacks or going whole hog for a rocky road spring/strut/shock set-up.

Of note also with the 235/70's my truck my GPS matched perfectly with the indicated ground speed on my speedometer.  I haven't tried this on Buster with the 235/75s yet.  The difference is marginal, I'm sure, but I think the ride is much nicer with the larger tires.  not to mention on the newer generation trucks, it's quick lift (1" at least) and painless to the CVs.

And yeah, Buster is my daily driver, 100 miles round trip on interstates each day, so the traction, wear, ride and safety is more important to me than having tires that will grab rocks well in the woods.  But I will say the Michelins are the tits in snow, ice, and mud.  They will go in the snow!!!  Thats about as much off-raoding as Buster will see.  I don't do rock trails.   Tires are always a compromise unless you can afford to dedicate your truck to one purpose either off-roadinig or strictly highway UNLESS you are willing to take the bad characteristics of the tire when used for an occassional other purpose.

Norm 

dentedzuk

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 08:31:37 PM »
nevermind about the 235's!  I found a good deal on 225/75r16 kumho m/t and their what im gonnna go with! 

james
(changed handle to use same one on all zuk sites)