Hello Guest

water cooled valve cover breather??????

• 4 Replies

eschneider

water cooled valve cover breather??????
« on: June 01, 2007, 02:03:50 AM »
wish I had a picture.

'92 8v tracker 1.6L

whilst doing a head gasket, I noticed a weird connector between the valve cover breather pipe and the aluminum air plenum.  It had water lines going to it.

Uhhhh - Houston, WTF, over?

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: water cooled valve cover breather??????
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »
probably and air intake pre heater hose for cold days. my 16 vavle has that and an i.a.c. heater also.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

eschneider

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:32:09 AM »
probably and air intake pre heater hose for cold days. my 16 vavle has that and an i.a.c. heater also.

No, its not on the air intake - it's on the 1/2-inch rubber line from the valve cover that vents crankcase fumes to the intake.

It's a metal ring about the size of a quarter, with a 5/16 coolant supply and a 5/16 coolant return line.

I've never seen anything like it.  I can't imagine why crankcase vapors would need to be temperature-regulated, or that this small donut would actually do much as vapors passed through it.

Anybody?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:12:03 AM »

No, its not on the air intake - it's on the 1/2-inch rubber line from the valve cover that vents crankcase fumes to the intake.

It's a metal ring about the size of a quarter, with a 5/16 coolant supply and a 5/16 coolant return line.

I've never seen anything like it.  I can't imagine why crankcase vapors would need to be temperature-regulated, or that this small donut would actually do much as vapors passed through it.

Anybody?

Sounds like it could be the PC Valve, got a pic?
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

eschneider

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:22:55 AM »

[/quote]
Sounds like it could be the PC Valve, got a pic?
[/quote]

No pic.  Car is 200 miles away at the moment....

Definitely not a PCV valve.  It's straight through - no vlaves or restrictions whatsoever.  The vented fumes pass straight through it.....