Hello Guest

Strange Clicking Noise Under Dash

• 4 Replies

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
Strange Clicking Noise Under Dash
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:18:37 PM »
It's a relay, i can't pinpoint which one, I placed my fingers on all the ones I could get my hand to but no luck. It's about double the speed, and the same sound as the signal relay. It stops, or at least slows down when I do signal left or right. Can anyone help me figure out which relays are in the circut, and maybe where they are? The ones I put my hand on are the ones mounted on each side of the ECM. Something else that weird too, is my front, front side and rear side(all passenger side) parklights are out, I have good ground but I'm only getting .16v on the power line. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it seems fishy to me.
Any help is appreciated!!

Dave

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Strange Clicking Noise Under Dash
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 10:05:11 AM »
It's a relay, i can't pinpoint which one, I placed my fingers on all the ones I could get my hand to but no luck. It's about double the speed, and the same sound as the signal relay. It stops, or at least slows down when I do signal left or right. Can anyone help me figure out which relays are in the circut, and maybe where they are? The ones I put my hand on are the ones mounted on each side of the ECM. Something else that weird too, is my front, front side and rear side(all passenger side) parklights are out, I have good ground but I'm only getting .16v on the power line. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it seems fishy to me.
Any help is appreciated!!

Dave

The relays either side of the ECM are probably the Fuel Pump relay and the Main relay. If the truck runs OK then the problem isn't likely to be with one of those. I would start looking for shorts on the parklight wiring.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »
Only 16 volts? you need to start off with the alternator first, that could be burning out the bulbs.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »
Only 16 volts? you need to start off with the alternator first, that could be burning out the bulbs.
Sorry, not 16v, 0.16v.
Also, I found the relay, it's the signal relay, it's mounted above a metal plate under the ECM. I'm going to replace the relay and hope that's it, if it's not it's one of the wires, or the signal lever. I hope it's the relay!!!

I'm guessing my park lights being out on one side is not related to the relay, so that will just be another problem to look for a fix.

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »
It could also be a bad fuse that turned to foil, and alot of that stuff goes thorugh the ignition switch that could just be dirty, mine gets that way if i'm in the dirt alot.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.