Hello Guest

SiKiD_01

• 14 Replies

Offline TrAkLsI

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
SiKiD_01
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »
SiKiD_01 your tracker looks awesome.  How high and what kind of lift is that.  please explain.    thanks

Offline TrAkLsI

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: SiKiD_01
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:54:45 PM »
So Sorry, Your Vitara looks awesome!! :-[

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:11:42 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=13082.msg121587#msg121587 date=1153806510
SiKiD_01 your tracker looks awesome.  How high and what kind of lift is that.  please explain.    thanks

TrAkLsI, thanks for the compliments, and my lift is home made. i have a post in the members rides up the top of the page, but here is the nitty gritty on my vitty.

1989 Vitara Soft top
1.6lt,  8 valve
Weber Carby 32/36
Extractors
2" exhaust

5 speed manual
Standard Transfer
heavy duty clutch

Welded front diff
Rear Lock Right Locker
Standard 5.12 diff ratios
Standard Brakes

3" body lift
4" suspension lift

FRONT:
OME Front Struts
Flipped Mounts
2.5" coil spacer

REAR:
Longer shocks (28" extended, 13" compressed)
3" lifted coils (soft spring rate)
1" coil spacer
3" A-Arm spacer (not installed yet)

SIMEX Extreme Trekkers (The Centipede)
15"x8" Steel wheels (3" B/S)

INSIDE:
Sony CD/MP3 head unit
Sony 6" (2 way) in Doors
Sony 6"x9" (3 way) in the back
Checker plate (AKA diamond plate) interior
No carpet (hose out interior)
Custom soft top
Narva 110W spotties
3" fuel tank lift
Rear Roller Drawer

Front and rear tube bars (overkill engineering australia)
braced and fitted, with some bling checker plate
Rock sliders are in production

TO DO:
custom rear A arm (with 360* pivot)
snorkel
Transfer reduction gears
roof mounted light bar
winch (do i need one? not really)

PLANS:
34" SIMEX Extreme Trekkers
custom coils to do away with coil spacers and get max travel at the 4" lifted height, maybe 5" one day. still working on it.

i also cut my front and rear guards.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 08:14:10 AM by SiKiD_01 »
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline TrAkLsI

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »
7" DAMMMM!!!!!  :)2.5" coil spacer,  Don't  you need a diff drop bracket for something that high?  3" lifted coils what kind are they. ;)  Thanks alot

Offline joe_and_jeep

• Why have a Rev Limiter and not use it?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »
2.5" coil spacer,  Don't  you need a diff drop bracket for something that high?

ditto...
96 Tracker DD - 2in, 30s
95 Tracker Under the Knife - 4.3V6 - Rest Unknown
91 Jeep YJ Full Cage, Tri Link, D44/D44 35s
84 Jeep XJ Doubler HP44/9IN 35s

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:35:21 AM »
2.5" coil spacer,  Don't  you need a diff drop bracket for something that high?

ditto...

nah, you dont need to have anything, but its good insurance, sort of, if you do.

the reason why i havent made my drop brackets yet, is that i havent really found the need to. i'm still running the stock aluminium front diff, and i've broken 2 outer CV joints in the time i've owned my vit. i have a feeling a 3rd is on the way, but its not due to the angles of the CV joints.

when i break my front end, i will look at how it broke, and why it broke, and then fix that. also, i will get a steel front housing and 3rd. as it is, the front diff gets too close to the ground, and the reason i stay IFS is the clearance i get. so everything up high and off the ground is good for me.

i know how to drive with a delicate front end, as in, i dont gas it when full lock AND full droop, and i dont keep on the gas when the wheels land, and i sure as hell dont give it any when reversing up! so i have adjusted to driving like a wuss, but i still dont have much competition. reasons being, i have a very good side slope/tip stability, and i have a lot more ground clearance under my vit than the sierra/sammy counters.

i'd rather drag my rear diff, than plough with my front diff. if my back diff gets centred, my front tyres can pull me through, but if a sammy has both diffs centred, good luck buddy!

the ONE major cause of CV joint failure is..............

.............. split CV boots!!!!  mud, water, rocks, and crud get into the Joint, and starts flogging it all up. sorta like running really fine sand through your motor oil. so always make sure you have new CV boots, or they are in good and flexible condition. otherwise they wioll split of tear, and the grease inside mixes with dust and stuff, and it becomes a mix of cement so to say.

other factors are.........

............. not giving a sh!t about it, and giving your vit/track/kick gas all the time everywhere, over everything and through everything. some people are scared to break CVs, so they will ask for all the info and look up all the stuff they need to prevent it, but i say, to really understand whats going on, is to go out and break one yourself. not necessaraly on purpose, but you will not know the limits, or how much the CV joints can and will take.

its not hard to change CV shafts and so on, so one broken is one to learn from, and not to mention, one to brag about..... hehehe.

so yeah, i can make drop brackets for my front diff, and be a little safer with the CVs, but it will only make me go harder than i already do, and maybe do more damage. i will also lose a bit of clearance, and i know i hit my lower arms on a lot of things already.

i have cracked a free wheeling hub, so dont think that the CV joints are the weakest link. free wheeling hubs, or lock outs, are aluminium too, and with a welded front diff, if your tie rod ends dont pop out, and your diff housing holds up, and the CVs and shafts dont break, then obviously the free wheeling hubs have gotta give way.

its all good, in the name of muddy goodness, and fun wheeling. its not wheeling if you're not having fun!

Offline ice_man5210

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:40:33 AM »
thanks for the explanation, Sikid!  well said! 

Cheers!

Offline nils

• Team Tincan!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 03:51:54 AM »
SiKiD, I love the way you put it in words how to keep a rig in 1 piece! Makes me wanna jump in mine and have a spin right now!  :D

I had 1 broken CV so far, and guess what, yes, split booth. It just stoped working without notice.

(altho i fancy mike's maxima CV mod :P)

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 03:59:50 AM »
i dont know if this pic shows what i'm talking about. clearance is what stops me getting bogged in rutted bog holes, and its what keeps me going over the rocks.

if there were beffier CVs we could swap in with the least amount of mods and hassles, i think we would all have done it by now. truth is, trying to fit up CV shafts from other makes is a pretty big deal, especially if you dont have a work shop to machine the stuff you need. it becomes quite expensive real quick, and thats with shop time, and all the bits and pieces.

my vit started out as a budget rig, mainly because i'm a student, and through that i have found ways to go hard for cheap.

Offline nils

• Team Tincan!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 04:19:33 AM »
sure does!

the ifs and higher diff housing makes it obvious that you have a few inches of clearance ahead of any solid axle with the same hight in tires. so by the time the rear diff diggs in the mud you'll have your front axle cleared and pulling you trough.

unless you push the limits

Too much pressure on the tires, and no lockers.

Offline bus_driver

• the voices tell me different things
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:55:08 PM »
i will tell you I don't get out as much as I want but my cv boot on both sides are spit and I am surprised that they are not toast yet I am just really gentle with then on full turn and for now it is stock but when I lift it I will probably change the shafts.
92 2dr soft top
2-1/4" cherry bomb exhaust
235/75/15
2 inch lift
custom mud

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 07:12:53 PM »
SiKiD:

VERY well put.. EXACTLY how I feel.

I think I am going to space up a bit, just a little.. maybe another inch..   But I will still have the good side hill "non-tippyness"  so to speak.

You DO learn to not break stuff... I am wanting to put stronger CV's in.. and steel housings..

BUT, since I broke my first CV, I adjusted my driving style, and haven't broken one since.  I carry extra CV's and have an extra front housing, so as soon as I finish off the ear I broke, I can fix it.. BUT, in the meantime, I have gone some pretty amazing places on the stock stuff..

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline geeeeoooo

• mmmdrop
    • my myspace page
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:02:36 AM »
hey sikid...just a random Q?....where did you get your 2.5" coil spacers from?? or did you make them?? im currently looking for some new ones as my 2" are starting to crack and deform..
my truck rails harder than your girl

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:06:03 AM »
sorry for the late reply. there must be a massive time lapse between here and there.

i got my coil spacers custom made. i borrowed a pro one, like a 1" one and measured the dimensions, and got a company to machine some up.

the material i chose was HDPE, which in simple words, HIGH DENSITY plastic. it is UV resistant, meaning it wont crumble with sun exposure and heat, and it wont dry out. high density means its not super solid like aluminum or steel, and can absorb to a certain point, meaning it sort of acts as a isolator.

but beware, coil spacers increase spring rates, and accelerates coil spring fatigue ultimately leading to coil spring failure. so the bigger the coil spacer, the less life components will have.

imho its way better to get some measurement, as in the height, free and loaded, the wire size, the spring rate you want, and so on, and get a spring shop to custom make some up for you. this will be better for the long run if you are interested at all in longevity and reliability of sorts.

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 03:13:36 AM »
I agree, the right spring is always the better way to go. Coil spacers serve a purpose and are cheap. If the bump stops were extended with spacers to compensate for the increased lift and this also goes for taller springs, I think the problems of sag would disappear as coil bind wouldn't occur.