Hello Guest

Acting strange

• 2 Replies

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Acting strange
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:54:19 PM »
The other day, I started up my tracker and it seemed to be running fine... until I got in it and tried to go. What it would do is it would bog even in first or second gear on flat ground. It wouldnt do 50 mph unless I was going down hill. Then today, I went to start it and when it started, it ran ok for the first few minutes, and then it ran on 3 cylinders for about 30 seconds, and then it ran on four cylinders again. Then I drove it and it was doing the same bogging as the last few days. Then I drove it down the hill (down in elevation) and it ran good again, and when I came back, it ran good and had plenty of power. Has anyone else had this happen, or have any Idea what causes this. It is very aggravating to have something that works good and bad intermittently. I want to say it has something to do with that shoddy fuel injection system that the 8 valve motor has, but I dont know for sure.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
Re: Acting strange
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:27:08 PM »
My first guess would be water in the gas tank.  Since gas floats on water, the attitude of the car truck and acceleration would both, depending on exactly where the fuel pickup is in the tank, result in your symptoms.

Try adding some Heet before expending any real time or expense.

I had similar problems in my old Corvette when the oxygen sensor fitting rusted out, but that actually threw a code I could work with.  In your case, it's probably just bad gas.

If neither of those, it's probably just a poltergeist.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 10:19:27 PM by beercheck »
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Acting strange
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think that aside the engine is getting tired (burns lots of oil, about a quart every 400 miles) so I think I am going to buy the Acme Adapters vw diesel kit and swap in a turbo or NA diesel vw motor. I think the hardest part about the swap is going to be finding a donor vehicle to get the engine from. The ideal motor would be a 1.6 turbo because it makes the right amount of power and doesnt cost as much as the 1.9, but the 1.9 would also be nice.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)