Hello Guest

tye rod

• 2 Replies

Offline conejr

tye rod
« on: December 31, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »
The tierod on my zuk is bent pretty bad.   I was wondring if there is any good solid way to fix that without having to buy a new one.  Also my sammy is fine offroad, but on road it shakes uncontrollably.  Any advice?  Is it the tierod bend making it do that?  Any advice would be great.  thanks

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
Re: tye rod
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:37:19 PM »
Pretty much guaranteed. I take that back. But it's a good bet.  If it is truly bent, you may as well replace it to eliminate it as a cause.  Tie-rods are cheap. Easy to replace. Make note of how many turns the old one is at and put the new one in the same place. Look for other loose components and replace at this time in the same manner. Most autopart stores will lend you a pickle fork or whatever special tools necessary. Then take to the alignment shop and your done (hopefully.) Shops charge way too much to replace one for as easy as they are to replace. The shop will be able to tell you if something else is wrong when they try to align it. If they find something else wrong and want an arm and a leg, post here and we'll  advise.

Another thought.  Someone must have hit something pretty hard to bend one (I think). It is possible that something else could have got damaged. Hope not.  g

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
Re: tye rod
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »
By the way, I don't know how old you are  or what experience you have, but I changed a tie-rod on a maverick when I was 16. No book, it was cut and dry. The alignment took care of the rest.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb