Hello Guest

Factory radio question.

• 6 Replies

Offline lowrezolution

• "Get bent!"
Factory radio question.
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »
Do the newest models (newer than my '01) have an mp3 compatable cd player in them?  ???

I was just wondering if maybe the 04 or 05 models had a newer stereo with mp3 capability.

Thanks
2001 Tracker LWB
Boondox coil spacers and BDS springs 3.25" rear lift/3" front lift,3" body lift. 265/75/16 Durango Mud Terrains. (32")

Offline bzzr2

Re: Factory radio question.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:28:28 AM »
my 03 doesn't read mp3's
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline Moses

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:50:22 PM »
Nope, my Oz delivered 03/04 wasn't mp3 compatible. It is now though, was a bugger to carve out the plastic surround to accept a double DIN replacement unit.

If anyone needs to know how to get the factory radio out I can tell you how to save a few hours figuring it out.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:53:22 PM by Moses »

Offline zbadboy69

• Freedom Isn't Free
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
Moses could you post the steps here?  Did you replace with a single or double din?

Jeff
2001 4X4 Chevy Tracker Four Door 2.0 5 Speed

Offline Moses

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
Sorry, I just saw your post.

I replaced it with a double DIN.

I believe there are some aftermarket facias for a single din conversion that fit in the
stock location and just blank of the extra space or put a small pocket under the single slot.
Unfortunately it was so long ago now that I can't really remember much of what I discovered while researching the idea. As for the install, thats a bit hazy now too, but I do remember that by far the hardest thing was getting the silver plastic surround off because of the black plastic piece that covers the back of the air-con computer.
I'll see what I can rustle up for you.

Meanwhile heres a pic of my Clarion six disk in-dash player:

Offline zbadboy69

• Freedom Isn't Free
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »
Your install looks clean and like it belongs.  I have a single din Kenwood that I could install.  I think I would look around for a install kit for a single din.  I will have to find a pocket or cubby to fill in the space otherwise it won't look right.  I don't really want to just cover it either.  Thanks

Jeff
2001 4X4 Chevy Tracker Four Door 2.0 5 Speed

Offline Moses

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
I just found this :

http://www.metraonline.com/downloads/pdf/TurboKits/INST99-7950.pdf

However I don't think the removal is that simple, first you have to pull the lower compartment out (swing the door open and just pull out) then there is a black cover behind the air-con dials that prevents the fascia from coming off completely. To get this off there are a couple of tabs that need to be pushed with a short screwdriver vertically but you can't see them. If you need I can post some pics later when I'm home.

Anyway, I think you might be able to get single DIN conversion faces for the stereo through a Suzuki dealer aswell. And somewhere I found one that has a pocket under the stereo if thats what you're after. And you can even buy wiring harness adapters for specific stereos to make it easier too. I just used paper clips as pins for the stereo plug so I didn't butcher the factory harness.