Hello Guest

Need shock/strut extensions!

• 4 Replies

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
Need shock/strut extensions!
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
Put new Bilstein struts on the front and shocks on the back of my 96 tracker. I ruined my drivers side strut I think :'(! It makes some noise when you push down on the front of the tracker on that side. It does not have much movement when you let off of the vehicle either ::). I have a new strut on order (under warranty).

I was talking to a mechanic friend and he said that we may need to build or buy some strut extensions for my truck. Anyone got any ideas? I have heard of people flipping the upper strut mounts and gaining some strut movement.

Thanks!
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Custom front and back bumpers
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: Need shock/strut extensions!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:27:41 PM »
You may just be over extending the strut.
Whatcha running for lift?
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »
2 inch body lift. It may be that the strut was screwed when I got it. I did'nt think that 2 inches would matter on the struts. I've had some noise in that side of the truck since I did the lift and put the new shoes on her.
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »
A 2'inch B/L wouldn't affect the struts.
Maybe they are the wrong struts (too short)
Or you got a bad strut?
No front spring spacers?
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
Nope, no spring spacers. Begining to think that the strut was bad all along. I'll get the new one in and see if all is well! Thanks!
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's