Hello Guest

Choice of Tires

• 14 Replies

Offline SamuraiGuy7

• My Samurai
Choice of Tires
« on: August 22, 2006, 09:33:33 PM »
Ok im planning on getting some new tires. i am looking at 4 specific tires and i want your guys opinion on each so i can make my decision.

1. Super Swamper TSL Radials.
2.Super Swamper LTB's.
3. Super Swamper Trxus MT's.
4.Micky Thompson Baja Claw's.

all of these are within my price range and i would like to know which tire is gunna be best overall on and off road (dont care about noise) and which will last the longest. I appreciate your input.

Taylor
87 Samurai
     4x4

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: Choice of Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:42:09 PM »
1. Super Swamper TSL Radials.
Very off-Road orientated
Any other questions?
I really like this tire (not only cause I have them)
Enough grip to get going
Just enough slip not to break anything.
3. Super Swamper Trxus MT's.
Very on-road orientated (Off-Road Magazine quote)
but off-Road capable
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:48:15 PM by HotRod »
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline dwcrisp

• 98 Tracker 2dr, 1 1/2" spacer lift, 30X9.5 BFG MTs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »
OK what about BFG M/T/s

I've heard nothing but great about them and I have a set of 4 coming in a week from 4wheel parts warehouse from their Truck Fest in Orlando for $420 mounted and balanced, with nuts, and caps, on black wagon wheels ($44 each).  Check them out for price online for Swampers and BFG and MT.  They have another Truck Fest coming up on their site.

But if I had to choose I would go Trxus MT/s first (for the cool) then TSL's second (for the quality)

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:58:43 PM »
OK what about BFG M/T/s

I've heard nothing but great about them and I have a set of 4 coming in a week from 4wheel parts warehouse from their Truck Fest in Orlando for $420 mounted and balanced, with nuts, and caps, on black wagon wheels ($44 each).  Check them out for price online for Swampers and BFG and MT.  They have another Truck Fest coming up on their site.

But if I had to choose I would go Trxus MT/s first (for the cool) then TSL's second (for the quality)
BFGs M/Ts- Very good on and off-road. Smooth running, high milage tire.
Good price on them. What size are they?
For mine 32x11.50 with 15x8 black RockCrawlers where 1G (I did get 5 tho)
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:41:12 PM »
if you are going to be running in any snow the truxs m/t's work better than the others in the white stuff. that would be my choice if it was a daily driver.

derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:14:51 AM »
I just recently put on a set of tsl radials and am happy with them so far.  they ride nice on the road and are quieter than my coopers where.  off road they are better in everyway without question!  as for rain they seem just as good as any other tire i've had on the tracker since new.  i plan to sipe them myself before winter comes around.  we'll see how much of a pain in the ass that is but i'm sure it's all worth it in the end.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline kirknd4spd

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »
i'd go with the mickey thompson's. or maybe dick cepek radial fc II. thats what i have, and they actually do really good in mud, soft dirt, and better than the bfg's or trxus m/t's on the road. just my opinion, but they're all good tires. it just depends on what terrain you drive most.
89 Sidekick - 2 door soft top, 1.6, auto, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, 31x10.50's on 15x8 Mickey Thompsons, long tube header

Offline tdspence

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:08:45 PM »
Have you considered Firestone Destination MT's? All the reviews I have seen say they are a very capable off road tire and do great on the road (for a MT).

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 04:48:17 AM »
I have the LTB's and they are near unbeatable OFF road, but I can't say much for on road, cause I don't drive it on road, I wouldn't think they would last too long or grip too well in rain..  but off road, I will put them up against ANYTHING.

Baja Claws??  BUNK!  I followed a guy with some nice claws, and they loaded up with mud, and spun WAY more than a good mud tire should.

I would go with Hot Rod,  the TSL radial is a good compromise of street and off road, and have heard good things about the trxus MT's too..

BFG is just over priced and under lugged in my book.. but hey, I rarely go with the masses opinions..
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline uglytrk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • trail krawlers 4x4
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 06:23:00 AM »
Ive been running the LTB`s for almost 2 years. They are a great tire off road and seem to be wearing good on road. I use my zuk as a daily driver and im guesing the tires are still 70% tread. Cant beat the price on a LTB best bang for the buck imho.
87 Samurai spoa/shackle reverse in front w/ toy rear springs5.43w/detroit quick lock yj 5 leaf pack rear 5.43 w/ detroit quick lock grs1 4:1 t-case w/ poly mount and rocky road mega arms warn m6000 optima red top 35/12.50 bfg mt`s on 15/8 aluminum wheels Hilift cb rock light cage in rear

Offline SamuraiGuy7

• My Samurai
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 05:43:52 PM »
i think im going to go with the ltb's.. there not too spendy and they lsound like a pretty good tire...thanx to you guys.. ill let you know how they turn out.
87 Samurai
     4x4

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 07:43:38 PM »
Ive been running the LTB`s for almost 2 years. They are a great tire off road and seem to be wearing good on road. I use my zuk as a daily driver and im guesing the tires are still 70% tread. Cant beat the price on a LTB best bang for the buck imho.

Wow,  2 years?  That sound great!  I have NEVER had such a grippy tire off road, I air them to 5-6 psi, and they just go through and over anything.. and it's a nice smooth ride too.. I watch the other guys aired up to 20 or so just bounce and jounce and have a hard time rolling over big roots and rocks... I just laugh and roll along like on a cloud at 5 psi...  LTB's are tough ass tires...

If you get them Sammyguy, you are gonna love them off road, and it's good to hear they do OK on road too.. I noticed mine were VERY heavy with the steel rockcrawlers, and even with 5.62 gears, I have a hard time getting over 60 mph on the freeway though.. that is in my 8v.. it doesn't seem to be down on power either.. I guess the 31x11.50 and steelies are just that much load..

What size you looking at SammyGuy?

1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline zukisidekick

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 09:17:50 PM »
I have to agree with Quaddawg, etc....I'm running the LTB's on my 4 door sidekick.  They are AWESOME!   Absolutely the best bang for the buck, and they actually don't wear all that horribly on road.   I've had my set of 31's since last october, and use it as a DD, they still have roughly 70-75% tread left.   They are noisy on the road, but quite honestly I love it!   Prior to the LTB's I ran traditional TSL's, and have to say that the LTBs perform as well, if not better.  The largest lug is a bit longer and extends further away from the tire, thus improving your side bite a little.   

I like these tires so much, that I'm buying the 34" equivalent, and installing them on my kick! 

LTB's all the way....

and my friend Chad running the 34's on his Sami! 

Keep us posted, and take some pics of your rig with your new tires!

-Zukisidekick

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:26:14 PM by zukisidekick »

Offline SamuraiGuy7

• My Samurai
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 07:13:49 PM »
the only problem with the ltbs is that they dont come in a 33/12.5.... so my next option is either the trxus mt's or the tsl radials... i do get some snow here so im thinking about the trxus mt's but i dont know if there going to be aggressive enough off road.... so i might go with the tsl radials and sipe them...
87 Samurai
     4x4

Offline kirknd4spd

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
ltb's come in 33x13.5.
89 Sidekick - 2 door soft top, 1.6, auto, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, 31x10.50's on 15x8 Mickey Thompsons, long tube header