Hello Guest

the dumbest thing I've ever done.

• 6 Replies

Offline madbob

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
the dumbest thing I've ever done.
« on: July 24, 2006, 04:49:52 AM »
Let me start with the fact that I am very impatient.  I finally got my first samurai last sunday after wanting one for years.  First thing I did was set out to get a set of 33's under her.
I started with a homemade 2" body lift.  By the time that was done I had stumbled across a used set of 33X13.50's that I could not pass up.  So I went down to pep boys and bought a set of really long shackles.  For those of you considering this, I highly discourage it.  the caster is now crap.  bump steer is terrible and the tires rub when I turn.

The good news.  The shackles were only a temporary thing untill I could order a SPOA lift.  I think I am going to go with a spring over, and YJ springs.  that should equate to about 6.5 inches of lift if I've done my research correctly.

My questions are, Do I need different spring perches if I swap in the YJ springs?  the plan is to do the lift in stages, SPOA first,l then find a good deal on the jeep springs and swap them in later.  is this feasable, or do I need to do the whole thing at once? 

EDIT:  I forgot to add.  flex is probably less than 3 or 4 inches now.  the shocks are about 1" from being topped out, and the shackles are so long, the springs are nearly flat so stuff is very limited, and it rides like I welded the axles to the frame.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:55:56 AM by madbob »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: the dumbest thing I've ever done.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:14:21 AM »
We all learn somehow.  :)

You will want to put a set of wider pads on to go with the YJ springs.  You will also need to replace your spring mounts on your chassis to match the wider springs.

For the shocks, a lot of people put a set of Ford F-250 Shock Towers on their SJ's.  That gives you a lot of shocks to choose from.

When you put the new springs in, are you going to change your wheelbase at all?  You might want to just look at buying some longer shocks for now, then reposition the shock towers when you go to the longer springs.  Moving your front axel forward a couple of inches will stop your tires from rubbing against the firewall.  You might also want to look at some 3.5" offset wheels to stop the rubbing on the springs.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:47:47 AM »
Let me start with the fact that I am very impatient.  I finally got my first samurai last sunday after wanting one for years.  First thing I did was set out to get a set of 33's under her.

A possible solution for you would be to purchase the Trail Tough YJ kit. THis would give you the lift, look, and flex in the shortest/easiest way possible.

From the Gear Guide section.

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_050104/feature_trailtough_yjlift_install.htm

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_050104/feature_trailtough_questreview.htm

Good Luck, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:49:54 AM »
ya those look to long, I made shackles 2 to 2 1/2 inches longer than stock on my spring over and its perfect.
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline madbob

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:56:13 AM »

You will want to put a set of wider pads on to go with the YJ springs.  You will also need to replace your spring mounts on your chassis to match the wider springs.

For the shocks, a lot of people put a set of Ford F-250 Shock Towers on their SJ's.  That gives you a lot of shocks to choose from.

When you put the new springs in, are you going to change your wheelbase at all?  You might want to just look at buying some longer shocks for now, then reposition the shock towers when you go to the longer springs.  Moving your front axel forward a couple of inches will stop your tires from rubbing against the firewall.  You might also want to look at some 3.5" offset wheels to stop the rubbing on the springs.

can I put the wider pads on, for the SPOa,  but still run stock springs untill I get my hands on some jeep springs?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »
can I put the wider pads on, for the SPOa,  but still run stock springs untill I get my hands on some jeep springs?

Technically you could, but I would be afraid to.  You would need to have a wider spring plate made up and then I would worry about the axle being able to flex more then usual because of the U-bolts no longer being next to the springs and keeping things squared up.

I would recomend what ebewley said, going with the Trailtough kit for YJ springs right away if you want to go in that direction.  If you just want a little more flex and a smoother ride, I say go for a RUF (Rear Springs Up Front) swap.  There are a couple of articles in the past talking about this route, and it is a lot simpler due to the springs being the same width.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »

You can get springs for a spring over very cheap from alot of suzuki aftermarket vendors, I would put wider ones on it would be unsafe.
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]