• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Clutch adjustment 1994 Geo tracker
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 06:38:36 PM »
Could anyone tell me what the proper specs. are for adjusting the clutch 
Pedal freeplay ?
Clutch linkage travel?
Any help on proper clutch adjustment would be greatly appreciated

The following is from the Chilton Total Car Care CD Import Trucks and SUVs by Nichol's Publishing (part # C3050):

Clutch pedal free-play (the amount of pedal movement before resistance is felt)  .6 - 1.1 inches  Clutch pedal free-play is set by turning the nut on the end of the clutch cable at the transmission.

The release arm free travel (the amount of motion of the clutch arm on the bell housing at the cable end) should be .2 to .6 inches.  This is adjusted by loosening and tightening the nuts on the cable bracket towards the front of the vehicle to reposition the end of the cable in relation to the clutch arm.

Playing with the two adjustments should eventually get you to the proper specs although I would adjust the free travel first unless you are installing a new clutch.

There is a pictorial for the Samurai (which is very similar to the Tracker/Sidekick) at Ack's FAQ (see signature below).  do a search for clutch.

BTW: for Sidekick Sport owners the process is different as your truck has a hydraulic clutch system.  the Chiltons Total Car Care CD also has that maintenence procedure.  I highly recommend buying a copy at your local auto parts store or at Amazon.com  ;D

Hope this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

sapien

Re: Clutch adjustment 1994 Geo tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:01:30 PM »
there's an online TracKick service manual at Autozone... look toward the bottom of this page
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1e/0c/58/0900823d801e0c58.jsp