Hello Guest

Solid Front Axle in 90' Tracker

• 13 Replies

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
Solid Front Axle in 90' Tracker
« on: February 15, 2005, 06:34:04 AM »
Hey all, I wrote earlier about swapping the 1.6L from a Tracker that I have aquired to a Sami.  The reason I like the sami's is because there are so many more options as far as suspension, axles, gears, and so on.  The 1990 Tracker has lockrite lockers front and rear, a 2 1/2" Calmini Suspension lift, 3 inch body lift, 5.62 dif gears and tons of body armor.  Limitations are that I can't get the t-case gears (they only make them from 91 and up) and the IFS.  It breaks front axles easily with the IFS.  Plus, I like the flex that goes along with the solid front axles...I really want to make a good off-road vehicle for rubicon, rock crawling type stuff.  I really don't know what is out there or what I can do with this.  Can I swap a solid front axle into the tracker along with the 91 or newer drivetrain to get the lower t-case gears? Any additional info or advise would be very helpful and appreciated.  Thanks

Aaron
Aaron

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: Solid Front Axle in 90' Tracker
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 06:58:42 AM »
There were some differences in the 89-90 T-cases. I dont know what they are ( I have 4:1 Rock Hoppers in My 89 )  I'd bet you could talk with a few of the vendors and work out some sort of trade (your t-case and $ for a 4:1 that would bolt right into your 90. :-/

I know nothing about SAS on a Kick (I like my IFS ;) )But it can be done with alot of work.

Zig
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:00:37 AM by Zukipilot »
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 07:18:44 AM »
Zig, have you done anything to beef-up the front axles?  The tracker likes to snap the front axles, but if there are modifications to get larger axles, I might consider keeping the IFS.  Thanks for the info.

Aaron
Aaron

Offline hcgalvin

• Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    • Granite Path
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:49:14 AM »
Hi,

First, just to let you know, please make sure that you search around on this forum, there has been a large number of topics regarding SAS.

SAS will have to be custom, for the most part. Calmini was going to offer a kit, but I think that there hasn't been enough interest in it for them to release it. See Eric Bewley's Kick, he's got the prototype.

I run a SAS setup with leafs, and currently Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 axles. It's in the garage trying to be finished up before Moab EJS in March. I ran last year with a hybrid front axle that we made ourselves using a Sidekick rear center section and samurai knuckles. It had Trail Tough's double tough birfield treatment on it, and was very strong. I sold it to GRVIT (he's a member on here) who lives in Greece.

http://www.granitepath.com/friends/kd7hcg/sidekick.html

It all depends on what you want to do. I've seen a lot of people just put a Samurai front under the kick, use the Kick diferential (as it bolts right up) and use leafs or coils. You will need to provide some large spacer or an offset wheel to fix the width, as a Sammy axle is narrower than a Sidekick. This seems to work, but I wouldn't recommend it full time on a daily driver as bearings can break down and a lot of tire scuffing is possible because of the extra width needed by spacers and/or offset wheels.

A lot of people put toyota axles under their trucks too. Find a toyota pickup from 79-85 and get the front and rear axles and install them. They are a couple of inches narrower still than the sidekick, but you could do it.

Some people use Dana 44's , some use 60's, some even the Dana 52's out of the old jeep trucks.  My FJ80 axles are nice, they are wider than the sidekick wheelbase, and came with electric lockers and are full floating.

You will also have to come up with some way to create or install an SYE for the drivelines. We installed OTT's Kicker 3, which installs a Samurai Case behind the Kick Case (dual cases) and therefore the SYE was a no brainer since the Sammy Case is all ready that way.

Custom drivelines, Custom spring perches and hangers, etc.

Lots of choices, but better know how to fab, or have a buddy that does.

Heather
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:50:41 AM by hcgalvin »
Heather Galvin
2005 GV with Zuki Nation 4.5" Lift.
Sidekick's gone... Still have Bob's Knob.

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 07:49:38 AM »
I must be doing something wrong.
I've never broken a front axle.

Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline hcgalvin

• Granite Path
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 07:51:46 AM »
I must be doing something wrong.
I've never broken a front axle.

Heh, I never broke an axle, but I broke the aluminum housings. Bob, you have an anvil though, so you don't count.

;)
Heather Galvin

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 08:01:05 AM »
Heather, would you be able to tell me the I.D. and O.D. of the FJ80 rear axle shaft housing?

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 08:51:09 AM »

Heh, I never broke an axle, but I broke the aluminum housings. Bob, you have an anvil though, so you don't count.

Well, I did break my aluminum front housing, too, before I got my anvil!  "you don't count" is such a HARSH thing to say!  You wound me!   :'(
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline hcgalvin

• Granite Path
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 08:54:06 AM »
Heather, would you be able to tell me the I.D. and O.D. of the FJ80 rear axle shaft housing?

Um..

Never measured. I'd imagine I think the O.D. that you might be interested in is prolly 2 7/8" to 3".... but the FJ80 axles are trussed.. Here's some pictures, with some temporary ubolt mounting.

The I.D. I have NO idea. Won't have to take it apart. I know the axles are 30 spline though.
Heather Galvin

Offline hcgalvin

• Granite Path
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »

Well, I did break my aluminum front housing, too, before I got my anvil!  "you don't count" is such a HARSH thing to say!  You wound me!   :'(

« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 09:00:51 AM by hcgalvin »
Heather Galvin

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 09:22:32 AM »
Thanks Heather, just having funky thoughts of picking up a bent 80 rear and chopping the ends of and mating them to the Kick rear. Rear discs and full floater in one  ::)

Offline Chief

• Whaddya lookin at??
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »

BLAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Davis, just swap in a sammi t-case. Either do a divorce mount behind a 2wd tranny ( which I'm gonna do eventually) or mount it behind your current t-case!
03 Tacoma, BBP sliders, TRD L/S, Modded intake,  Da Tow Bitch

94 Tracker. Cancer mod :p Otherwise stock

Offline mineisbroke

• yip
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 12:02:18 PM »
i break axles galore ! ;D cv joints , twist splines off the passenger side , broke the splines off the hard drivers side thats in the front diff , and most recently broke  the front ring and pinion . oh yeah and 2 housings . all this with baby boggers (33-14.00-15) :'(

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 09:59:23 PM »
Zig, have you done anything to beef-up the front axles?  The tracker likes to snap the front axles, but if there are modifications to get larger axles, I might consider keeping the IFS.  Thanks for the info.

Aaron

Yea,http://www.zukiworld.com/month_110103/feature_zigsbeef.htm I'm running a Calmini Anvil and Nissan Maxima half shafts. Here is a fre links that may be helpfull to you.

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_110103/feature_zigsbeef.htm

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_040103/feature_hagencvshaft.htm

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_090103/feature_sidekickdrivetrainimprovements.htm

There are many articles in the Archive (Link in the Banner at the bottom of this page. Brouse through them and it will probably give you some great ideas for your ride.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick