Hello Guest

Stupid (ALC) Automatic Light Control

• 10 Replies

Offline TN_Tracker

• TN Tracker's Suzuki Space
Stupid (ALC) Automatic Light Control
« on: November 22, 2005, 05:15:10 AM »
Is there any way to defeat the wonderful ::) ALC? We live close to Bristol Motor Speedway and always go see Speedway in Lights. http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/upcoming_info/special/ Most people turn off their headlights while looking at the Christmas lights but obviously I can't because of the ALC and it will make me very unpopular with the other drivers. Is there any way to defeat this thing?

I'm a Proud Member of Team BlueRibbon Coalition & Tread Lightly, are you?

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Stupid (ALC) Automatic Light Control
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 07:07:03 AM »
Is there any way to defeat the wonderful ::) ALC? We live close to Bristol Motor Speedway and always go see Speedway in Lights. http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/upcoming_info/special/ Most people turn off their headlights while looking at the Christmas lights but obviously I can't because of the ALC and it will make me very unpopular with the other drivers. Is there any way to defeat this thing?

Is your car an Automatic? If so, you could fool it to thinking it is in park by 'adjusting' the switch on the shifter at the console. May or may not work, might throw a code.

Any other ideas? :)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline the_maplebar

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »
Depending on how loose your brakes are (mine were really bad before I just adjusted them) you can pull the parking brake up 1 notch and leave it that way.  It won't turn the lights off, but it will keep them off if leave the brakes up 1 notch before shifting into drive.
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline TN_Tracker

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »
Yep, it's an automatic and thanks for the tips guys. I'll try the e-brake before shifting into Drive trick and see if it works on mine. If it doesn't I have some ideas on how I might trick the sensor by using a small flashlight.

Another question...do you folks use the headlight switch at all since the lights go on and off automatically anyway?

Offline 99Trackerconv

• I love my Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »
To turn the ALC off you have to unplug the sensor on the dash.

1. Take a small flat screwdriver or small knife and carefully pry the sensor out of the dash.

2. Unplug the wire harness.

3. The daytime lights will still come on but you can turn them off if you pull the e-brake up one notch. You can still have your regular lights turn on by using the switch.
12 Chevy Sonic hatch.  1.4t 6spd.... DD
01 4dr Zr2 project... coming soon :)

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:40:18 AM »
Or if you just want to work around them from time to time what I do is pull the e-brake up one notch and turn the key back just a little till the lights go out then back to normal and the lights will stay out till you drop the ebrake back down. You still will be able to turn the lights on or off by the switch.  If you are going  do it this way I would try it a coulpe of times in your driveway while your parked just so get a feel for how far to turn the key with out killing the engine.   

Geogre

Offline TN_Tracker

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 12:26:32 PM »
The one-click before you shift trick works just fine, thanks for the tip guys. It's cloudy and snowing here today so I didn't have to wait for nighttime to test the procedure. I may unplug the sensor though so thanks for the info 99Trackerconv.

Offline Autobot

• Danger Can Happen!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 07:23:47 PM »
Another question...do you folks use the headlight switch at all since the lights go on and off automatically anyway?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I really don't know why I bother though, just habbit I guess.  :)
Got Tracker?
2000 2dr. convertible, stock.

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »
Use mine to turn on my fog-lights

George

Offline rwwink

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »
Are you talking about the automatic headlights?  I had a '99 GV and have an '02 GV.  The headlights are put on or off  automatically by the position of the passenger interior light switch setting.  IIRC, if the light switch (on the '99, it's in the back..on the '02 it's on the front of the light housing in the ceiling) is in the center position, the headlights on/off are automatic.  If the switch is in any other position, they're manual and controlled by the position of the switch on the lever beside the streering wheel
R Wink

Offline joe_herz

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 07:59:52 PM »
Are you talking about the automatic headlights?  I had a '99 GV and have an '02 GV.  The headlights are put on or off  automatically by the position of the passenger interior light switch setting.  IIRC, if the light switch (on the '99, it's in the back..on the '02 it's on the front of the light housing in the ceiling) is in the center position, the headlights on/off are automatic.  If the switch is in any other position, they're manual and controlled by the position of the switch on the lever beside the streering wheel
R Wink

My 00 Tracker lights are completely automatic, no switches to defeat whatsoever, well you can turn them on but not defeat the ALC...unless you have a flashlight and stick it on the sensor...haven't tried the e-brake thing but I know it worked on my old car.