Hello Guest

Ignition key cylinder stuck, won't turn

• 9 Replies

Shilly

Ignition key cylinder stuck, won't turn
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
I went to leave for work the other morning and found that my ignition key won't turn in the ignition. It feels like there's a detent pin or something that will not release to let the key rotate.  I've used three different keys (including the original) with no difference. It did turn once and was as smooth as silk, unfortunately, I was jiggling it at the time and it locked again. I've tried spraying lubricant into the cylinder and every combination of jiggling, twisting, pulling and wiggling I can think of to get the blasted thing to release.  Any ideas would be helpful, since I can't release/remove the lock cylinder until it's in the ACC or On position. TIA...

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Ignition key cylinder stuck, won't turn
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:08:19 AM »
I went to leave for work the other morning and found that my ignition key won't turn in the ignition. It feels like there's a detent pin or something that will not release to let the key rotate.  I've used three different keys (including the original) with no difference. It did turn once and was as smooth as silk, unfortunately, I was jiggling it at the time and it locked again. I've tried spraying lubricant into the cylinder and every combination of jiggling, twisting, pulling and wiggling I can think of to get the blasted thing to release.  Any ideas would be helpful, since I can't release/remove the lock cylinder until it's in the ACC or On position. TIA...

Is it an automatic? There is a cable actuated lock out associated with that.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Shilly

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:14:51 AM »
Whoops, left out the details, didn't I?   :-[    '91 4WD with 5spd, no mods to the steering, etc..

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »
Does turning/wiggling the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key make any difference?
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Shilly

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 11:33:02 AM »
Nope, I ended up having to disassemble the turn signal/wipers combo switch and the ignition assembly in order to move it and release the Taurus from garage prison.  The column is still in place, but the lock mechanism is hanging off the column.

Offline kymike

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:35:26 PM »
u have a tracker or a samurai

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 06:43:34 PM »
I have had that exact same thing happen, but it was on a 1992 geo metro (same ignition). I have found that on these, the key wont turn if you push on the key while it is in the lock position. I think this is caused by wear, but I am pretty sure it should turn if you turn it slightly(enough to keep the key from pulling out) and pull on the key lightly. it should turn. If it doesnt, then it is something else is wrong with it.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

• Spencer Atkinson, 92Sidekick4x4
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 10:46:56 PM »
i had the same thing happen to me in my 92 sidekick. pull the key out slightly and turn it it should work

my lug nuts require more torque then my engine makes ;)

Shilly

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:18:47 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys, but it looks like it's thrashed. I have a line on a potential replacement switch, but it's got the same problem, just not as bad (some replacement!!   :o) At least I can drive it now; just have to be careful where I park it since there's not really a lock on the ignition. If I come across the magic bullet I'll let y'all know.

Shilly

Re: Ignition key cylinder stuck, won't turn--FIXED!!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 11:57:52 AM »
At last, success!!  Thanks to a neighbor who has some spare time and a lot of ingenuity, my Tracker is once again safe.  We removed the ignition lock by Dremeling off part of the arch over the lock mechanism so we wouldn't have to remove the steering wheel. Then my crafty neighbor removed the tumblers, cleaned the mechanism, and reassembled everything.  It ended up being a stuck tumbler in the keyway, BTW.  Reassembly was a snap, except for a trip to the hardware store for two hex key-headed bolts to secure the lock mechanism to the column.  Thanks to all for the support, thoughts and ideas; you guys are the best...

P.S. Anyone else in a similar predicament is welcome to IM me with questions, too