Hello Guest

what do you guys think about consumer reports and rollover lawyer?

• 11 Replies

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Ever since I got my tracker, I have typed "geo tracker" into search engines and it brings up these sites like rollover lawyer and consumer reports and they say that the suzuki samurai, suzuki sidekick, and geo tracker roll over too easily :o, but I know from experience that this is not true ;D. What makes them say this?, and why are some people so quick to listen. So far I have driven my Tracker about 2 weeks, and it is the funnest car I have ever owned. It does everything I want it to, from getting decent fuel mileage to mild four wheeling (cant get too extreme because it is my only car and my daily driver, although I am considering calminis 2" lift, and slightly larger tires).
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
Re: what do you guys think about consumer reports and rollover lawyer?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
that started by a stupid punk driver and a judge with no BALLS. nothing but a bunch of crap
                           Ross
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »
So thats how it started? These things would probably take a stupid punk driver to flip as they feel about as solid and stable if not more stable than my 97 Toyota Tacoma 4wd. I took my tracker on the same sidehill area as my tacoma, and even sideways on a hill it felt more stable, as it didn't have that tilting feeling. I think that the fact that these things are narrower than most cars is a good thing, because it makes them much more manuevreable both on and off the road, and it gives them that sort of a "go cart" feel. The main reason I brought this up is because everyone who asks me what I drive seems to reply with "be careful, those flip over" and no matter how hard I try to convince them that they dont flip over, they dont believe me.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:29:30 PM »
take 95 percent of the vehicles on the road do 50 mph swerve to miss a deer and they'll roll.

Ross
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »
The 95 percent of vehicles that will rollover will usually survive a hit from a deer, so I think it would be better to hit the deer (than to roll over), or better yet, use the brakes (as long as nobody is behind you, that is how pileups happen). I have been driving 4wds since I got my licence 2 1/2 years ago, with my first vehicle being a 1986 ford bronco 2, which was supposedly a rollover hazard also. I am very accustomed to driving things that have a high center of gravity and are top heavy, and because I know how to drive them, I wont refrain from buying or considering vehicles that are known to flip over, such as the isuzu trooper, or the isuzu rodeo. I think those vehicles are awesome, and would be a joy to own despite what others think.

Offline Yoak

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
I remember growing up in W.Va,

My Dad was going to get one,

and one of the reasons we didin't get the car was because of how it was supposed to flip so easily...

I was under the same impression when I got mine....

If it were easy to flip I would be dead, it corners quite nicely,

You would almost have to try and flip it....

Offline Yoak

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 09:55:15 PM »
...Of course...

If you lift it you can make it somewhat easier to flip....

but again it always comes down to the person behind the controls....

Shilly

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 10:16:42 PM »
Urbanwheeler,
                      I use my '91 as a DD and put 84 miles a day on it, including I-77 and I-26.  It rides on 30x9.50's with 40 PSI in them and I routinely take the ramp from 77 to 26 in third with a ton of RPM's or 4th with slightly less. We're talking a full 270 degree sweep at around 40 MPH.  Yes, I've been driving for a few days now (like 31 years of them) and I'm completely comfortable in my Trackick. You need only go as fast as your experience and good judgement will let you, but I'd disagree that they are a rollover hazard.  There's no harm in letting up on the little pedal on the right; there ain't room for both ego and safety in these little critters, one or the other will have to take precedence.  Err on the side of safety, good judgement, and caution and you will have many miles of fun.  Just my .02 on the subject.

Offline hobgoblin

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 10:17:49 PM »
OK,

I must tell you,I have had a Sami on it's side...on flat ground....Nice sandy spot near the river...30mph e-brake-james bond turns...about the 5th one...may-be 40 mph now..Oh crap...  :oOn the pass. side I went...after we all got out.. 3 of us put it back on the wheels...OH my god...I only broke the mirror off. very little scraches(it was already scrached)No dents...Thank god for sand!!!!And by the way we did it few more time after that ;D.Oh my high school days..... ;D Yoak where in WV did you live? That's where I from,ever heard of Petersburg or Clarksburg?

Later Tom K.

Offline rkteckt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »
The Flip-over problem is shared by any high centered short wheelbase vehicle.  The ford explorer sport trac has a ratio of one roll-over for every three single car accidents.....meaning if you lose control, your 33% likely to roll it.

The best way to avoid it is to know your vehicle, practice with it, understand that in an emergency manuver, like an s curve or a sudden swerve it will want to roll over.

Personally i drive my sammy around town with no fear.....would i take it on the expressway....probably not,  a dark windy road on a stormy night at high speed.....definently not.

Its all about knowing the limits of your vehicle.
1991 samurai , Mall Crawler, neon green, YJ lift, Wifes vanity plates.
1988.5 tintop too many mods to list. The work samurai.
2005 Avalanche Z71
2003 Matrix XRS
1993 sidekick 4dr 2wd donor thats too nice to destroy yet. 1992 Toyo Pup POS

Offline BigPig

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 12:40:11 AM »
Consumer Reports has good reports on stereos and refrigerators.  So what if they got tippy in a Zuki?  They made a big deal out of nothing and it must've been a slow news day for the media to pick up on it.  Suzuki puts labels in their rigs that warn people about how they handle differently.  It's a driver's responsibility to drive within the limits of their vehicle.  Unfortunately too many don't.

As for rollover lawyers.... they're opportunistic leeches!

About the only good use for them is a bumper pad between a wheeler and a tree on a tight trail. ;D

'89 Sidekick w/ 4.5" of lift.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 07:20:35 AM »
American Suzuki took Consumer Reports to court over their falacious report.  Unfortunately it took over a decade to finish and was at the Supreme Court a few years ago when it was settled.  I think Suzuki knew their 4x4 days were over (hence the '06 GV and XL7) and just settled.  Didn't get much press but I remember the 4x4 mags mentioning it.  It was kind of a let down after all the time and the BS that Consumer Reports passed off as factual.