Hello Guest

roadside assistance, who has what and what's the best?

• 7 Replies

Offline synergy_58

roadside assistance, who has what and what's the best?
« on: January 26, 2006, 05:02:24 AM »
Hey, I know this is a bit "off the road", but I need to get my son some road side assitance coverage for his Track while he's away to college.  Mine is through USAA and one can only have it if thier insured with USAA, which my son is not (too many tickets).   AAA seems high for what you get and I've heard many complaints about response times and threatening letters if you have to use them frequently.  So...

Who has what, and what's the best?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: roadside assistance, who has what and what's the best?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 08:31:05 AM »
Too many tickets ???  How about a Bicycle  ;)
AAA in California is available with or without
their insurance, also some insurance companies
offer roadside and car rental as part of the package.

On the flip side, teach him how to fix his car instead

Did I mention a Bicycle ???
 :)
Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline synergy_58

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 09:36:29 AM »
Gee, Thanks for that.

Offline truckasaurus44

• I'm a new world Samurai & a Redneck nonetheless!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »
AAA is available by me w/o the insurance.  I got thier AAA PLUS membership and it was well worth the little extra money.  AAA Plus comes with 200 miles of free towing/month versus like under 50 miles standard. 

For the 2005 Zukimelt (My first) I drove my Samurai from Linden, NJ 800+ miles to the melt, only about 6 hours after finishing my 16valve 1.6 swap ;D.  About 20 miles shy of hitting Indianapolis my rear ring gear grenaded (It helps having gear oil in your axle).  I Called AAA and asked them how far I was from Attica.........210 miles!  WOO HOO, One and a half hours and like $30 later (had to only pay for 10 miles of towing) we pulled into the Badlands in an AAA Flatbed with my poor samurai on the back.  We fixed her up the next day and wheeled for 2 days afterward and drove home without any further issues.  AAA basicly saved my A$$ and with solid service nonetheless.   

As far as service,  I've only had one rediculous wait with AAA, and I was out in the boonies and barely even getting a cell phone reception.  Otherwise they've been top notch.  I've also never recieved any complaints for using them too much and with some of the Heeps I've owned I was getting Monthly to Bi-weekly long distance tows (averaging 100-150 miles per month with my 2.8L Comanche) from  them without any nasty letters.  Roadside assistance w/ free towing is one of the best investments you can make, particularly if you are daily driving your wheeler/project car!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:28:43 AM by truckasaurus44 »

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 04:03:43 PM »
I would have to agree with what he said. MY wife and I have have had AAA Plus since we got married. It has been a real lifesaver and we have used it quite a lot. No threatening letters and always got really prompt service.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.

Offline truckasaurus44

• I'm a new world Samurai & a Redneck nonetheless!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 10:10:57 AM »
the only time AAA may fall through is if you are out in the middle of nowhere.  if your son is going to be doing mostly urban and suburban driving, he'll be fine with AAA.

Offline keith

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
Too many tickets ???  How about a Bicycle  ;)
Wild

You are acting like getting tickets is an indication of poor driving skills.  Just because a person enjoys exceeding the speed limit doesn't make them a bad driver.  Sounds like insurance company rationale.  Since you don't like speed please immediatly disassemble your turbo and send it to me. ;D

Offline Yoak

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »
I also have AAA Plus,

and have had my other project car (Datsu 240Z) towed quite a few times....

as well as the other car on the plan

(In fact I had my 240 towed today, 20 minute wait time...can't beat that)...

I have never really had any issues with AAA thatwere mentioned....

Except...one of the drviers was a bit of a jerk because my 240 was missing one tow hook....

no big deal really just listened to him complain for 15 minutes...

other than that though, they are great... I would recomend them