Hello Guest

newer racks and kicks?

• 12 Replies

Offline synergy_58

newer racks and kicks?
« on: January 08, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »
Up until yesterday I've never considering looking into the prospects of getting a newer track or kick, say around the new body style change 1999-up.  I saw one parked next to me at the store and it wasn't half bad looking, for a rounded body design.
How does everyone feel about them?  What are the basic differences with them?  Is the drivetrain the same, does the 4x4 work the same?  What about mpg?

I'd appreciate some input.

Offline wolf66

Re: newer racks and kicks?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 07:20:49 AM »
What matters the most is you can get one with a V-6 !!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 08:13:13 AM by wolf66 »
'96 Suzuki X90-4" lift-snorkle-30x9.5's on 8x15 wheels-5.12 gears-winch-added rear seat-DT header-PioneerMP3-CB-GPS-roof rack-rear mounted full size spare

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Re: newer Tracks and Vits?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 08:12:07 AM »
I've got an '03 GV.  My wife LOVES it.  It's her daily driver.  I love it too.  Having now had 2 Trackers and the GV I can say they basically redid the body (but it's still built similarily to the old ones) and fitted a V6 with twice the power of the 4-cyls.  The engine is a tight squeeze in the bay and some things suffer a bit, but it's not that bad.  It's harder to get to the oil filter but it's doable without loosing too much skin.  Rides and drives like a hot rod Tracker really.  The suspension has been redone some but many of the parts swap.  I know OME uses the same front struts for the GV as the older Track/Kicks.  The frame and suspension all look very similar to the older rigs and are for the most part, interchangeable.  The downside for me is our '03 has no locker options as they redid the rear axle in '03 to a bigger unit.  Even ARB has no locker for it.

The downside?  19mpg around town, MAYBE 22mpg on the freeway.  The power comes with a bit of a price.

Offline synergy_58

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:26:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that v6 eats a bit more fuel. Do the newer ones still come with the 4 banger?  I wonder how that rig does?  I'm not in need of the extra power, over the 1.6, really.  I like the ability to have real 4x4 along with the economy, as I'm sure many people are.  I just don't won't an older one nickle and diming me to death with repairs, and I want to be able to depend on the newness, if you know what I mean.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Re: newer Tracks and Vits?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
When I was looking around for one I asked and got several reviews of them with the 2.0L 4-cyl.  They weren't glowing but I don't think anyone has ever referred to these things as rocket ships.  Gas mileage seemed to be in the lower to mid 20's, typical of the later 4 doors.

I don't know if I had found one with a 4 cyl if I would have gone for it.  All I found were 2.5L V6 autos so I just went with the best of the lot.

I hear you on the reliability aspects.  We got it after her '99 Cavalier started giving us trouble and proved not to be up to the winters here.  The GV has been reliable and relatively trouble free since we got it, I can't complain.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 03:03:08 PM by AJMBLAZER »

Offline jeffry

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: newer racks and kicks? (long reply)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 05:27:35 PM »
My 02 Vitara (4-cylinder) is my third Suzuki. All have been problem free (Samurai for 10-years as daily driver, 1995 Sidekick 4-door for three years). Since my Sidekick, I have owned an 87 4Runner, 96 Rodeo, 99 Trooper, 96 Land Rover. I have always wheeled some with all of them for my work (photographer for a newspaper, gotta get anywhere I want to), but didn't really start wheeling recreationally until the Land Rover.

I sold the Land Rover in May - $100 to $150/week in gas was killing me - so I looked at the options, RAV4, CRV, but none had the potential to be a wheeling machine so I went with what I knew, and what I knew was good. 20 to 25 mpg, just over $1,000 in upgrades (Old Man Emu springs and struts, Doetsch Tech shocks, 2-inch body lift, Chevy ZR2 skidplates, Rocky-Road rock sliders and a LockRite locker for the rear) make this an impressive little machine.

I can wheel with about anybody except extreme rockcrawlers, which I don't want to do. I'll take this on 3 and 4 rated trails with no issues and have reliability and gas mileage in one package.

At times, I wish I had the V6 (mountain highway driving), but I wanted to maximize gas mileage so searched for the 2.0liter engine. Off-road I don't need anything more.

These things have terrible resale value, Ebay has a good selection of used ones at outrageous prices. If you go with the Chevy ZR2 option, it includes good skidplates. I am completely happy with mine.

Here are some wheeling pics from Saturday, Jan. 7 when I went with my Land Rover buddies. We had one Land Cruiser on 35's (awesome machine), one Jeep and my Zuki:

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/1108700
http://www.azlro.org/gallery/2006-01-07
http://homepage.mac.com/jeffryscott/PhotoAlbum18.html

Have fun

Offline synergy_58

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 05:23:23 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Yeah,  I've been through the Landcruisers (5), 4-runners (3), C-hevy's (4), and 2-Isuzu's, but low mpg and high maintenance did it for me.  A few years back I bought my older son a '95 sidekick, 4dr, 4x4, and then recently I bought my younger son a '97 Track 2dr, 4x4 and I am really impressed.  They both get between 25-28 mpg on average and those little things will go just about anywhere.  They seem to have plenty of power (1.6ltr) both on and off road, at least for me.  My wife and I took the '95 up from Florida to W.Virgnia to go skiing, traveling easily between 70-75 (25mpg). We ran around in the snow effortlessly and had a blast!

Nice pic's Jeffery, your zuk seems to be able to keep up with the best of them.  I really like the way it looks on the rocks.   How does it compare to the '95 kick you use to have?  Did your zuk come from the factory with the ZR2 package or did you add it on?

Offline jeffry

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Yeah,  I've been through the Landcruisers (5), 4-runners (3), C-hevy's (4), and 2-Isuzu's, but low mpg and high maintenance did it for me.  A few years back I bought my older son a '95 sidekick, 4dr, 4x4, and then recently I bought my younger son a '97 Track 2dr, 4x4 and I am really impressed.  They both get between 25-28 mpg on average and those little things will go just about anywhere.  They seem to have plenty of power (1.6ltr) both on and off road, at least for me.  My wife and I took the '95 up from Florida to W.Virgnia to go skiing, traveling easily between 70-75 (25mpg). We ran around in the snow effortlessly and had a blast!

Nice pic's Jeffery, your zuk seems to be able to keep up with the best of them.  I really like the way it looks on the rocks.   How does it compare to the '95 kick you use to have?  Did your zuk come from the factory with the ZR2 package or did you add it on?

Thanks, I was pretty pleased with the performance. That was the first trail since all the mods that had some real good challenges and the first one I've been on with other people where I could challenge myself. The ZR2 package was purchased from Hawk Strictly Suzuki - new from the dealer the two skid plates are $500 and I got them for $100.

I have wheeled this one harder than my 95, but the 95 went everywhere I wanted at the time. Although, one time I was with the Air Force going to a plane crash and followed their Humvees up some fairly gnarly stuff, which they suggested I walk up. I had no problem, the others in my group of journalists had lots of trouble. Everyone was impressed with the little Zuk.

Enjoy the search (ebay has great deals, Zukis still seem to be a well kept secret on the used market).

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 10:08:25 AM »
Any pic's of the skid plates?

Offline jeffry

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 12:04:42 PM »
Any pic's of the skid plates?

http://homepage.mac.com/jeffryscott/PhotoAlbum9.html

The first pic gives a look at the oil pan/diff protection. Goes on with two bolts at one end, latches on to the cross member at the other end. Transfer case skid plate goes on similarly. Very easy on and off, and good protection.

Jeff

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 12:48:14 PM »
Nice pic's
About how thick is the plate?

Offline the_maplebar

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
Nice pic's
About how thick is the plate?

It's about 0.15" thick.  Just shy of 3/16ths of an inch.
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
Thought I'd retouch the picture for everyone.  Lightened it up a bit for better viewing.