Hello Guest

2000 Vitara rear diff locker

• 10 Replies

Offline diamondice00085

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
2000 Vitara rear diff locker
« on: March 13, 2004, 01:22:53 AM »
i have a 2000 vitara and well i would like to know if i can get rid of that damn one wheel drive.... is there any way to lock the differential?

2.0 I-4
5.125 rear diff ratio

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
Re: 2000 Vitara rear diff locker
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 03:49:58 AM »
Its the same rear as the sidekick 12 bolt.  You can get ARB, Lockers, lsd, and I saw some place a lsd/locker.
George

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 07:19:27 AM »
Its the same rear as the sidekick 12 bolt.  You can get ARB, Lockers, lsd, and I saw some place a lsd/locker.
George

So there is a solution to our X models for getting better gears?
Get a 4cyl Vitara rear axle, add the 5.83 gears, then add the locker. Anyone measure the spline diameter of the Vitara model? I have a set of spare X's in the garage along with it's center section for comparison.
Lenexa, KS

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 07:47:49 AM »
What I've been thinking about was getting a Gv rear (99-01)and putting that in it would just bolt right in.  How ever the axles are not as strong.  So I guess they would need to be  up graded. Then you could get what ever you whated.
George

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 08:45:31 AM »
What I've been thinking about was getting a Gv rear (99-01)and putting that in it would just bolt right in.  How ever the axles are not as strong.  So I guess they would need to be  up graded. Then you could get what ever you whated.
George

Isn't Yankee T running those axles without problems for some 30k miles on a lift, locker and 245's along with the lower t-cae gears?

I really doubt there is a major difference in engine outputs of the 2.5 and 2.7. I only think due to the larger carrying capacity of the X, Suzi engineers decided to provide a large ring & pinion and axle diameter.
Lenexa, KS

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 11:05:58 AM »

Isn't Yankee T running those axles without problems ...?

Well, only if you consider snapping and axle and taking out a cap on the ARB no problems. ;D

Currently, chromo shafts are being made for the GV, so yes, a GV axle in an XL7 *might* be doable.  Of course, there is the driveshaft issue... ???
Yankee Tim

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 11:32:17 AM »

Well, only if you consider snapping and axle and taking out a cap on the ARB no problems. ;D

Currently, chromo shafts are being made for the GV, so yes, a GV axle in an XL7 *might* be doable.  Of course, there is the driveshaft issue... ???

I had it when you do that. Driveshaft issue? Is it the flange plate difference?

So you've actually messed up a stock shaft and the ARB cap? What was the scenario?
Lenexa, KS

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 11:40:23 AM »
Change 'I had' to 'I hate'
Lenexa, KS

Offline Yankee Tim

• Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 11:39:02 PM »

I had it when you do that. Driveshaft issue? Is it the flange plate difference?

So you've actually messed up a stock shaft and the ARB cap? What was the scenario?

Yes, the GV uses a Kick Driveshaft, where the XL uses a 2-pc driveshaft with a center bearing and a 3-bolt flanged CV at the pinion.  Figured I'd spice up this thread.

As for my break,  Unspectacular to say the least.  At Paragon on Rattler, all  weight was on the driver's rear, a little hopping and BANG!.  The carrier cap got a little deformed from me driving on it for several miles to get out of the park.

Thank god for the ARB.  Man, do they use good steel.  If that was a Kick carrier, it would have shattered just like they have in my biddies rigs.

Spidertrax is in the process of making up custom molt shafts for a buddy on the Yahoo GV list.  They will use all the stock 4-channel ABS stuff, but will be splined for the 27-spline Dana sidegear.  They will require you to use the ARB diff with Dana sidegears installed into it.  That should make for a strong axle.
Yankee Tim

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »

Yes, the GV uses a Kick Driveshaft, where the XL uses a 2-pc driveshaft with a center bearing and a 3-bolt flanged CV at the pinion.  Figured I'd spice up this thread.

As for my break,  Unspectacular to say the least.  At Paragon on Rattler, all  weight was on the driver's rear, a little hopping and BANG!.  The carrier cap got a little deformed from me driving on it for several miles to get out of the park.

Thank god for the ARB.  Man, do they use good steel.  If that was a Kick carrier, it would have shattered just like they have in my biddies rigs.

Spidertrax is in the process of making up custom molt shafts for a buddy on the Yahoo GV list.  They will use all the stock 4-channel ABS stuff, but will be splined for the 27-spline Dana sidegear.  They will require you to use the ARB diff with Dana sidegears installed into it.  That should make for a strong axle.

Yah, I'm on the yahoo list. Haven't been watching that list for a while. Seems a lot of people there are still 'beginners' for the off-road community, if they want to do that in the first place. I do recall 'Kelly' IIRC that he broke his rear axle. I thought he was back on the road.

Last month, Godzookie wrote an article about using a Calmini's Anvil, XL7 housing, 5.83 gears, Easy  Locker, Sami carrier to go into his Sidekick.

So basically, I can upgrade the the X's front axle in the same meaner. Then to match the rear, look at your suggestion. This will provide an increase in gear ratio for the larger tires.

Would you happen to know if Spidertrax is looking at making the GV axle a full-floater? This would support the higher carrying capacity of the X.
Lenexa, KS

Offline Yankee Tim

• Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 12:42:50 AM »

Last month, Godzookie wrote an article about using a Calmini's Anvil, XL7 housing, 5.83 gears, Easy  Locker, Sami carrier to go into his Sidekick.

So basically, I can upgrade the the X's front axle in the same meaner. Then to match the rear, look at your suggestion. This will provide an increase in gear ratio for the larger tires.

Nope.  The Anvil will not fit in new Generation Zooks.  different mounting points.
Yankee Tim