Hello Guest

Using a tow dolly with a geo tracker to pull small car

• 15 Replies

Using a tow dolly with a geo tracker to pull small car
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Well, I remember sometime ago I posted about it but I cant find it anymore so here we go again. I need to tow my honda crx, I will not be taking freeways, only city streets, and no major hills (I live in Los Angeles). Can I use a tow dolly (you know, the one that only hooks up 2 wheels) with the tracker and tow my crx a few miles down thestreet? is it possible? The crx is a race car and is gutted so the estimated weight is about 2000lbs and its pretty light to the push! Has anyone done this before? I know I wouldnt do it for a bigger car but its a crx, me and 2 other buddies can lift this thing in the air thats why I am guessing it can probably be done with the right hitch! Let me know! Thanks!
J1 TINTOP FOR 500 BUCKS AINT BAD AT ALL!

Offline TopHeavy96

Re: Using a tow dolly with a geo tracker to pull small car
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:41:22 PM »
Well, I'd say it'll be ok,  only because when my little bro got  his Cherokee stuck the mud and I had the honor of pulling him out, ;D  I got him loose and kept draggin the poor kid backwards around the field for a couple hundred yards, just to show off. :laugh: I think the Tracker's got the oomph for a short jaunt,  just watch your stopping distances and keep the speed low. 
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
Technically speaking, the answer is no.

The Tracker is rated to tow a maximum of 1000 pounds and that is kind of pushing it.

Towing a 2000 pound car with a 400+ pound dolly behind a TracKick would be dangerous.

I would find a friend with a pickup truck - or even better, run down to Home Depot and rent their truck for $19.00 for three hours (at least that's the rental cost here in Kansas City...).  It's cheaper than an accident or a ticket.

I once hauled 1500 pounds of rock in a trailer behind a 1.6-powered Samurai and that was one time too many.

I hope that this helps!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:45:59 PM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Technically speaking, the answer is no.

The Tracker is rated to tow a maximum of 1000 pounds and that is kind of pushing it.

Towing a 2000 pound car with a 400+ pound dolly behind a TracKick would be dangerous.

I would find a friend with a pickup truck - or even better, run down to Home Depot and rent their truck for $19.00 for three hours (at least that's the rental cost here in Kansas City...).  It's cheaper than an accident or a ticket.

I once hauled 1500 pounds of rock in a trailer behind a 1.6-powered Samurai and that was one time too many.

I hope that this helps!

yeah, i dont want a ticket!!!! lol yeah, the home depot truck is 19.99 but i think its for an hour out here in cali! i used it once a while back for picking up a new bed set but i cant remember if it was hourly or for three hourse.

but really, besides the ticket and not being able to stop like usual, what kind of affects will it have on the tracker, would it damage anything???

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:05:06 AM »
You could lose control and have an accident.

Possibly blow the clutch on a hill.

Overheat the engine.

Rip the hitch off the frame.

If you can't afford to do it right - especially in a big city with lots of people just dying to sue you into the next dimension - you can't afford to do it.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
Loose the dolly, get the race driver in the honda, use a good tow strap, do it at night or early in the am, and have at it. I've pulled lots heaver stuff out of the mud. Once your rolling, it's not that much of a load, stoppin' has to be precise though! OH, and don't get busted looking like your trying to steal a honda, make sure all the lights work. Couple miles? You could get lucky.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
My redneck engineering part of my brain says: the manufacturer is figuring the tow capacity in the WORST CASE scenario for extended periods (hundreds or thousands of miles). That's any combination of freeway speeds, twisty roads, inclines / declines, inclimate weather etc all. So, I think it'll be fine if you keep in mind you're 140% over rated capacity (short distance, drive slow, on levelish ground, surface streets only, break early, driver uber-defensively etc).
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 03:10:30 PM »
Loose the dolly, get the race driver in the honda, use a good tow strap, do it at night or early in the am, and have at it. I've pulled lots heaver stuff out of the mud. Once your rolling, it's not that much of a load, stoppin' has to be precise though! OH, and don't get busted looking like your trying to steal a honda, make sure all the lights work. Couple miles? You could get lucky.

haha! can I still get busted doing it this way though lol, i wouldnt know, i havent done it before

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »
My redneck engineering part of my brain says: the manufacturer is figuring the tow capacity in the WORST CASE scenario for extended periods (hundreds or thousands of miles). That's any combination of freeway speeds, twisty roads, inclines / declines, inclimate weather etc all. So, I think it'll be fine if you keep in mind you're 140% over rated capacity (short distance, drive slow, on levelish ground, surface streets only, break early, driver uber-defensively etc).

im not the type that is really scared of trying something that is a bit over limits, all that you have mentioned (drive slow, surface streets only, break early) is all that I already had in mind, just wondering if it has been done before, but by uber-deffensively, meaning i will be driving under 25 miles an hour and making sure people make way! lol

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
If you decide to use the tow strap method,  have the driver of the crx ride the brake a little to keep the strap taught.  When I go pick up disabled customer cars using my boss's truck(close enough to skip the tow bill)  I have the rear driver brake a little earlier than I do, then when I feel the rear cars brakes kick in  I start braking.  That way rear car won't hit front car.  Sometimes I even put 'er in neutral and let the rear car stop us both to keep the strap nice and tight.  Just make sure to hit the brakes a little to let the rear car know you're stoppin!!
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
Ask Digger about the tow dolly.  I believe he did a long distance highway haul pulling a Tracker on a tow dolly using another Tracker.  He could tell you what kind of problems to look out for.

Personally, for around town, I would skip the tow dolly or the strap, and go with a tow bar setup (about $60 at harbor freight). 

A big consideration in figuring tow ratings is the effect of tongue weight on the handling of the tow vehicle.  The advantage with a tow bar is that you end up with almost zero tongue weight on the rear of the tow vehicle.  It doesn't make the handling squirrely by lifting the front end. 

If you have hand pushed the Honda around your driveway, that is about how much of the Tracker's power it is going to take to pull it.  The major concern is stopping it once you get it moving.  Drive smoothly, and leave plenty of stopping distance. 

You will need to wire up some brake and tail lights, but that's easy. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:21:28 PM by jzap »
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
Ask Digger about the tow dolly.  I believe he did a long distance highway haul pulling a Tracker on a tow dolly using another Tracker.  He could tell you what kind of problems to look out for.

Personally, for around town, I would skip the tow dolly or the strap, and go with a tow bar setup (about $60 at harbor freight). 

A big consideration in figuring tow ratings is the effect of tongue weight on the handling of the tow vehicle.  The advantage with a tow bar is that you end up with almost zero tongue weight on the rear of the tow vehicle.  It doesn't make the handling squirrely by lifting the front end. 

If you have hand pushed the Honda around your driveway, that is about how much of the Tracker's power it is going to take to pull it.  The major concern is stopping it once you get it moving.  Drive smoothly, and leave plenty of stopping distance. 

You will need to wire up some brake and tail lights, but that's easy. 

this sounds like a great idea! i ws worried about that tongue weight and how it might makes the front end lift making steering a bit scary. yeah, the crx is easy to push, what else do i need for a proper towbar setup

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
yeah, i found the tow bar from harbor freight, the price seems right! means i would have to get a hitch though too and some how some brackets that would mount to the car??? but also with that only being a class 1 hitch, is there a class 2 hitch for the tracker? can some one please elaberate this for me and what setup is needed for a tow bar.

the crx is non powered steering so i dont have to worry about that, an usually does the to bar hook up to were the tow hooks are on the vehicle?, i have a traction bar on the car and it hangs kind of low, i cant run the car with out because the torsion bars are connected to it. but the tow hook mounts sit up and behind the main crossmember bar which the tow bar will most likely hit

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Are you looking to just move this once and be done with it or is this a plan to regularly haul the vehicle from point A to point B?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Online fordem

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »
I doubt you'll find a class 2 hitch for the tracker - it's not rated to handle that much weight.

Class 1 hitches go up to 2000 lbs, class 2 are upto 3500 - I think the Tracker's limit is 1000 or 1500 lbs, depending on the model.

I'm not saying it can't handle more, but since that is the official limit, it's unlikely that anyone will offer a hitch rated for more.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny