Hello Guest

Turning

• 8 Replies

Offline cstello

Turning
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »
My Samurai will turn hard right and the tire hits the leaf spring, but when I turn left it turns really slow. Left side does not hit the leaf spring. What do I do to fix it?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Turning
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:58:19 AM »
Sounds like a bent tie rod or something similar.  If you disconnect the steering box and manually turn the tires do you get the same result?

Also, how much lift do you have and are you running an over-the-top (OTT) steering setup?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline cstello

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
no OTT steering and it had a calmini lift on it when I bought it. Not sure how high though. Where do I get a new tie rod, and/or can I just bend it back???

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »
If your tierod is bent, you need to get a replacement.

Aside from a local pick-n-pull or a wanted post here, Hawks Strictly Suzuki is the place to go.

This assumes that the tierod is OEM - the draglink should connect to it near the passenger's side end.

Another cause of Asymmetric steering (I went to college!) is a bent draglink - which is far more common than a bent tierod on a Samurai that has been on the trails alot.  I have seen people bend the snot out of a poorly built "Z-link"-style draglink and end up with a truck that turns one direction great but not so well in the other direction.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »
If your feeling up to it, you can also cut your tie rod and sleeve it with a thicker tube.  But you have to make sure your measurements are good.

Post a picture of your front end if ack's post didn't fix it and we can probably help.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline cstello

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »
Well, the tie rod was bent. Replaced it and still having the same problem. Do you think the steering arm is in the wrong spot on the steering box splines??

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:43:04 PM »
Well, the tie rod was bent. Replaced it and still having the same problem. Do you think the steering arm is in the wrong spot on the steering box splines??

I am not sure about this, but I think that the steering box has nothing internally that will keep it from rotating as many times as you could turn the steering wheel when the draglink is removed from the pittman arm.

Try this:

Point the front wheels straight forward with the steering wheel.

Check the position of the pittman arm. 

It should be pointing straight forwards, too.  If not, the draglink is either out of adjustment or bent.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

Offline cstello

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »
pulled the pitman arm off. The wheel will only turn a total of 4 turns. Turned it two rotations and put the pitman arm back on. Problem fixed! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
pulled the pitman arm off. The wheel will only turn a total of 4 turns. Turned it two rotations and put the pitman arm back on. Problem fixed! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks for posting your experiment!  I learned something from it!
Ack