Hello Guest

TurboZuki : 1.6 16 Valve 5 hour Junkyard Turbo setup

• 39 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: TurboZuki : 1.6 16 Valve 5 hour Junkyard Turbo setup
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »
 ;) Ya get the skills by doing it. Were not born with them, we learn them like everyone else. If I need to do something I don't know how to do, I get a book, go online, or get someone to teach me. I make plenty of mistakes learning how to do stuff, and use up a lot of metal, but once you can do something you keep the skill for life. And practice does make perfect. It also makes sense to buy the tools if you can. I learned form my grandpa when I was a kid. He told me If your gonna pay someone to do a job for you, your better off buying the tools you need, and learning how to do the job. When your done you have the skills, and the tools, and the pride of doing it yourself. If ya can't do it, learn how to make a lot of money! That way you can afford to pay someone else.   
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Trackin_Tracker33

• Have Gun will travel
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:42 PM »
;) Ya get the skills by doing it. Were not born with them, we learn them like everyone else. If I need to do something I don't know how to do, I get a book, go online, or get someone to teach me. I make plenty of mistakes learning how to do stuff, and use up a lot of metal, but once you can do something you keep the skill for life. And practice does make perfect. It also makes sense to buy the tools if you can. I learned form my grandpa when I was a kid. He told me If your gonna pay someone to do a job for you, your better off buying the tools you need, and learning how to do the job. When your done you have the skills, and the tools, and the pride of doing it yourself. If ya can't do it, learn how to make a lot of money! That way you can afford to pay someone else.   

Great advice,   thanks
I got your Jeep thang,  thats why it burns when I pee..

Mods: BDS 2" susp., Rocky Road +2'' Body, OME struts, flipped strut mount, custom High lift mount, CB, 30x9.50x15 RVT's

Comming soon.... To hell with IFS,  SAS'N it

Offline Basher

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »
thats awsome, loved the write up and pics, i dont know much about turbos but i like youre setup, good hp, low wieght
if you were right, dont you think i'd agree with you?

Offline aftermarket4x4

• ZUKIWORLD
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 06:13:29 AM »
What level of boost could you run on a Daily Driver without rebuilding the engine to take the extra pressure?

For the 1.6 16 valve running the stock internals and stock computer I would say that 6 PSI is the absolute maximum amount of boost you'd want to run for it to be reliable for a long time. Read into that as meaning that with the proper tuning it would be a reliable daily driver with alot more boost, but you have to invest more $$$ into injectors, a piggy back computer, etc to be alble to tune it. Daily driving mine with 7 psi has not been a problem at all and the boost never really kicks in unless you punch it hard....it honestly drives like there's not even a turbo on it until you need the power. I have put about 400-500 miles on the Sammy since the turbo was installed and run a few mud bogs and Tough Truck races and so far no problems as a wheeler or a daily driver.

Sean DeVinney

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »
Sean,
Other than fuel management, you're running stock FI stuff right? Injectors, throttle body, fuel pump etc? The ECu normally controls fuel management right, so how does the new fuel management plug in? Do you completely disconnect the ECU, or splice into something?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline bentparts

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 05:47:49 AM »
Tha
Sean,
Other than fuel management, you're running stock FI stuff right? Injectors, throttle body, fuel pump etc? The ECu normally controls fuel management right, so how does the new fuel management plug in? Do you completely disconnect the ECU, or splice into something?

That's something I'd like to work out as well. The only fuel management system I've been able to find that'll work with our 16v Zuk motors is a Haltech, out of AU. It's completley programmable, but the cost is HUGE, something around $2k USD. Maybe Sean found somthing new. IF your building an all out maximum power build, that would be the way to go, especially if money were no object.  For most of us just wanting a modest increase in power, the stock ecu, bigger injectors, and /or a rising rate fuel pres regulator is more than enough to run 5/6 lbs and have it run well. With bigger injectors and timing adjustment, mine even passed state emmission inspection, WITHOUT a cat. I'm pretty sure there are other programmable units out there, but for me the cost out weighs the benefits. Now, if money were no object I can think of a whole lot you can do to a Zuk motor to get 250+ hp, hmmmmm...............

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »
I found a site on line that showed an ECU for a Mitsubishi that looked very similar to a Zuk one but had an external EPROM. One of those could possibly be used, I'd like to get my hands on one to experiment. Otherwise the way to go is to fit the later 16V from the Esteem that does have a reprogrammable ECU, I've started work on that one but I need to finish off a scanner and diagnostic software for the OBD Zuks first.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline bentparts

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 09:17:53 AM »
 :) Keep us informed Rhinoman, that sounds very interesting!

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »
I re-read, and you already answered a bunch of my questions...

The fuel pump is the stock 1.6 16 valve model out of a Tracker tank installed in the Samurai tank and the blue circular thing is a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RRFPR) that increases the fuel pressure as the boost increases so that it supplys enough fuel. An APEXI SAFC air/fuel controller is in the near future for it to help optimize the power and make it run even better.

I'm still curious as to how you're going to get the APEXI SAFC air/fuel controller working. Does it replace the ECU, or just work with it somehow?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 05:01:05 AM »
The APEXI is an interceptor unit. It sits between the sensors and the ECU and modifies the incoming signals to cheat the ECU.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack

Offline aftermarket4x4

• ZUKIWORLD
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 05:26:02 AM »
Sean,

I re-read, and you already answered a bunch of my questions...

I'm still curious as to how you're going to get the APEXI SAFC air/fuel controller working. Does it replace the ECU, or just work with it somehow?

Yes, all of the wiring and computer parts are completely stock. If I was running only 5 PSI I would not need the fuel pressure regulator or any additional fuel management because when I was watching the air/fuel on the AEM UEGO digital readout it never went lean until about 6-7 PSI of boost. The Vortech fuel pressure regulator is there as cheap insurance to make sure that I don't run lean and blow anything up. It will be removed as soon as I install the piggy-back SAFC as I don't think I will need it anymore. I picked up a used APEXI SAFC on Friday and downloaded the instructions, but there is nothing at all for the Suzuki US models so I will need to figure out which wiring goes to the MASS-Air, to the MAP and to the TPS then connect it into the proper locations. The SAFC will interpret the signals coming from those sensors and change them as needed then send the new signals to the computer which alters the air and fuel allowing you to tune it from idle up to full throttle in 100 RPM increments on the computer screen on the SAFC. This is the most economical way I have come up with to tune the motor under boost.

I found a site on line that showed an ECU for a Mitsubishi that looked very similar to a Zuk one but had an external EPROM. One of those could possibly be used, I'd like to get my hands on one to experiment. Otherwise the way to go is to fit the later 16V from the Esteem that does have a reprogrammable ECU, I've started work on that one but I need to finish off a scanner and diagnostic software for the OBD Zuks first.
I have some friends that use the Mitsubishi computers you are talking about in their Eclipse turbo cars which have 2.0 liter motors. They have the EPROM and a SAFC to tune it, but looking at their setups you'd need to swap out all the sensors and wiring for Eclipse parts which icould be a bigger PITA. My thought is to keep everything as much Suzuki parts as possible so the Esteem ECM and wiring may be a possibility......

Sean

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »
The Mitsubishi ECU that I was looking at has the same connector as the Zuk. It should be possible to retune it to run with the stock sensors and I'm looking for something that doesn't need wiring changes - once you get into that then you may as well run an aftermarket set up. Well that said for a turbo you would most likely need to swap the MAF, have either of you had a voltmeter across it to see if you are maxing it out?
EPROMs are a bit of a nuisance to tune but I've already modified my Vit ECU to take an EEPROM and the intention is to connect the write pin to one of the spare output pins on the processor or port expander so it can be reflashed down Suzukis 'secret' diagnostic link.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 01:20:17 PM by Rhinoman »

Offline bentparts

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
Haven't checked the voltage on my MAF yet, wouldn't that have to be done While it's under boost?

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
Haven't checked the voltage on my MAF yet, wouldn't that have to be done While it's under boost?

Yes, also you need to use a digital voltmeter so you don't load the circuit - or a diagnostic scanner. Is yours OBD2?

Offline aftermarket4x4

• ZUKIWORLD
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »

Yes, I ran a digital voltmeter on my MAF and it never went over 4.2 volts (max is 5 volts) even when under 7PSI of boost so I'd say it's good for many more PSI.....I have heard it is accurate to about 15 PSI.

Sean