Hello Guest

Transfer case gears

• 18 Replies

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
Transfer case gears
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:52:02 PM »
I am tossing around the idea of putting t-case gears in my Tracker and would like opinions from people that have installed and are using them. I see two players in this game, Calmini and Rocky Road. One is a bit cheaper than the other but other than that what are the pro's and con's of each. I would be grateful for any info you can share on this topic.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

mudfkr

Re: Transfer case gears
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:38:54 PM »
I put Calmini in  mine, main reason I went for them is Bob, Heather and Mike all had them at the time and we're all happy with them.

Mine have been in now for about 18 months and I've had no problems ether.

4.24's are just awesome  ;D

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 11:44:25 PM »
Trail tough sell's em.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline biker

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:25:03 AM »
Anyone had experience with the Trail Tough set. Ease of install, any problems? I see they have a smokin price on them right now ;D
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

• Spencer Atkinson, 92Sidekick4x4
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:05:56 AM »
i knew u were gonna need them after the 34's  ;D

my lug nuts require more torque then my engine makes ;)

Offline biker

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 06:44:57 PM »
You should see how sweet they look on there tho, can't wait to take it out and try them out. ;D ;D ;D
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline Agent Orange

• Trying to learn
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 08:39:09 PM »
i remember a while back that someone who had bought the trail tough gears had the teath break on them. i never heard on a follow up on what had happened, but by looking at the picture that were posted they seemed to be welded gears.

i've never heard of any problems with the calmini's so i guess there is a reason for them costing more.

gears are on my list for next year, and i'm paying extra for the calmini set. i would also love to get my hands on a set of 5.83 dif gears.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 09:29:07 PM »
Before I ever had a set I didnt think that I needed them...Now that I have them, I dont know how I could ever wheel without tcase gears ever again.

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 12:15:04 AM »
Before I ever had a set I didnt think that I needed them...Now that I have them, I dont know how I could ever wheel without tcase gears ever again.

Mike

What he said and especially as I run an auto.

Offline biker

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »
Can anyone backup what Agent Orange is saying about the trail tough gears. I like the price but don't want to buy a problem child.
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »
having dealt with Brent from Trailtough before he would be my first choise on anything Suzuki. He goes out of his way to help you. I doubt you would have a problem with his gears but if you did I guarantee you will taken care of.
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline 6feetofAIR

• i wanna go to hawaii yayyyyyyyyyyyyy yy
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 09:03:33 AM »
i had some calmini gears chip on me and calmini is the welded ones, trail tough all the way, still running some 6.1 to 1 gears after like 1.5 years from them!!! calmini customer service sucks ass, they treated me like i was a criminal and a dumb ass when it was their inferior product that left me with a hole in my wallet and a lunched t case.

Offline rob

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 01:47:43 PM »
i have trailtough gears in a tracker. no problems, and mine are not welded gears. best thing that i have done to improve offroad performance.   

rob

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
i had some calmini gears chip on me and calmini is the welded ones, trail tough all the way, still running some 6.1 to 1 gears after like 1.5 years from them!!! calmini customer service sucks ass, they treated me like i was a criminal and a dumb ass when it was their inferior product that left me with a hole in my wallet and a lunched t case.

Calmini does not have welded gears. I dont think Trail Toughs are either. Ive been running the Calmini gears for 4 or 5 years now with no problems. Many many many wheeling miles on them. locjaw had a problem with the TT gears but I never heard if it was a bad install, wrong year case,  or if in fact they were a bad set of gears.

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline aftermarket4x4

• ZUKIWORLD
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 04:05:51 PM »
I do not think any vendor sells cut and welded gears anymore......at least I know that Calmini and Trail Tough both sell only BILLETT gear sets for Sammy's and Track/Kick's. Never had problems with either companies gears and both seem to be of the highest quality with good installation instructions. I guess then it  comes down to price or who has them in stock.

Sean