Hello Guest

Trans problem or clutch problem

• 7 Replies

Trans problem or clutch problem
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
Picked up a 86 zuki and he said new clutch was installed about 30k miles ago. My problem is from 1st to 2nd grinds and won't let me down shift from 2nd to 1st ever. Seems to be getting worse and now when I have the engine running in nuetral and the clutch out it's making noise.

Re: Trans problem or clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
in my book for an 88.5 it says"
1st to 2nd shift at 15mph
2nd to 3rd shift at 26mph
3rd to 4th shift at 35mph i hold third a longer till 40 trying to get onto the freeway
4th to 5th shift at 45mph i hold forth longer till 55 trying to get onto the freeway

5th to 4th downshift at 38mph
4th to 3rd downshift at 26mph
3rd to 2nd downshift at 19mph
complete stop into 1st

what kind of trans fluid are you running? 80/90 wt is too thick, try penzoil sencro mesh gear oil, or ATF. my transmission takes a little getting use to, just a character trait of these transmissions.

it sounds like the pilot bearing is loud, just turn the stereo up.

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »
Picked up a 86 zuki and he said new clutch was installed about 30k miles ago. My problem is from 1st to 2nd grinds and won't let me down shift from 2nd to 1st ever. Seems to be getting worse and now when I have the engine running in nuetral and the clutch out it's making noise.

That would suggest a defective transmission bearing - if I had to guess - I would say the input shaft bearing.  Have you check the transmission oil level?

Oh - for what it's worth - the pilot bearing (in the center of the flywheel, supports the nost of the transmission input shaft) will not make noise with the clutch out (pedal up), so it's definitely NOT that.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:48:10 AM »
The PO probably put the wrong oil in the trans, like GL5 and the
new oil ruined synchros in the trans, you must make sure the oil
you use is "yellow metal friendly" or you get this problem.

A minor rebuild with new synchros and bearings should have it
running like a champ

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
the peddle pushed in all the way engages the throw out bearing, spinning the bearing on the clutch fingers, with the rpm of the engine. with the peddle released is disengaged. i would say the pilot bearing is dry and you can hear it squealing. how do you tell if its bad?

what is yellow metal friendly? what type of oil is recommended?

Offline weldboy

• I'm only here for the carnival atmosphere !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
I use Sta-Lube by CRC, ;D   Hypoid SAE 85W90 GL-4. I get it at NAPA

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »
the peddle pushed in all the way engages the throw out bearing, spinning the bearing on the clutch fingers, with the rpm of the engine. with the peddle released is disengaged. i would say the pilot bearing is dry and you can hear it squealing. how do you tell if its bad?

I'm assuming this is in response to my earlier post saying the pilot bearing will not make noise with the clutch out (pedal up) - if it is, then consider this, with the clutch out (pedal up) the clutch disc (friction plate) is locked to the flywheel and rotating with it as a single unit. 

The transmission input shaft is being driven by the clutch disk at exactly the same rpm as the crankshaft so the inner race of the pilot bearing (attached to the pilot shaft) turns at the same rpm as the outer race (attached to the crankshaft/flyheel) - the bearing turns as a whole - like the throwout bearing, a defective pilot bearing will only make noise when the clutch is disengaged (pedal down)

what is yellow metal friendly? what type of oil is recommended?

GL5 oils are intended for use in hypoid transmissions where there is a combination of extreme pressure coupled with a sliding/wiping action - early GL5 oils used sulphur as an additive, and under certain temperature & pressure conditions sulphuric acid forms and this destroys the soft bronze synchro rings.  Later GL5 oils do not have sulphur and are safe for use with copper and it's alloys (bronze is an alloy of copper and brass, both of which are yellow in color) hence the term yellow metal friendly.

GL4 oils are safe for use in transmissions with bronze, and so are "yellow metal friendly" GL5 oils.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback, I just changed the trans oil 75-90 mobil one