Hello Guest

Tipping over problems...

• 23 Replies

Tipping over problems...
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
Hello,
I have a few questions about my Stock 1995 Sidekick JX 4x4 with 4 Doors. My questions are just concerns I have about Tipping over.

How much would it take for me to Tip over while driving regular street? (off ramps that loop around or twisty roads)

Has any Tipped over before?

I just got Brand new General Tires about 4000 miles ago (Grabber AT2, 225/70/15) These tires are great and they give me a lot of grip and I cant wait for Winter in Tahoe. These are a little bigger that the Stock tires I had previous and I was concerned about Tipping over. I dont know why NOW I think I will tip over more easy, just because of the New tires.

Can someone ease my thought?

Thank You

Offline suva

Re: Tipping over problems...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:15 PM »
I've been in some pretty hairy situations with my lifted 'kick without tipping over, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but do keep in mind it ain't no RX7

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
I've been in some pretty hairy situations with my lifted 'kick without tipping over, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but do keep in mind it ain't no RX7

Like he said...
91 Chevy Tracker
2.7L V6, Coil-over Suspension, ARB, and other goodies...
My build - http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=25353.0

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
The easiest way to flip over is turning quickly one direction then cutting back to the other.  Especially at highway speeds.  This will cause most cars to flip though, not just the Tracker.  Most roll overs happen after the vehicle has left the meridian, the driver panics and turns hard to the left, back towards the road and thus turning in softer dirt against the grade.

If your really worried about it you can install an aftermarket sway bar in the rear and some 1" wheel spacers.  I did that on my two door as I didn't like the body roll introduced with the spacers and taller tires and it solidified right up.  Now the rear end wants to kick out when I go into a corner a bit to fast.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
Stop worrying about the capabilities of the Tracker, and become a better driver. Drone is correct,  The best advice anyone can give you is  DON'T PANIC  in any situation. Panic= loss of control= crash.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline pepatt

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »
...How much would it take for me to Tip over while driving regular street? (off ramps that loop around or twisty roads)...

Hey, do you work for Consumer Reports?   >:D

But seriously, like the other guys have said, just remember what you're driving. Give yourself a little space to react.  A good alignment made a big difference in handling with mine.

To me, rolling a vehicle is like ramping a bike. Every newbie who tries ramping a dirtbike thinks he got "big air" when he's only 6" off the ground.  Similarly, many people think they are really close to rolling a vehicle when, in fact, it would take a LOT more force to do so and depending on the pavement, etc., your tires may slide before you ever get near rolling.

It took a professional driver 15 tries to tip a Samurai on a modified course!

So be careful, not worried.  :)

pepatt

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »
It took a professional driver 15 tries to tip a Samurai on a modified course!

So be careful, not worried. 

Very True...

And the professional driver was TRYING to flip the Sami. You will be fine in your four door (like you would be in any other vehicle.

(If Mike Hagen has not rolled one with his rally racing around Apple Valley Farms, you will have to be in one hell of a situation to roll one in daily driving)

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »
On regular street driving?  If you actually make an attempt at it sometime, good luck.  Won't be easy.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
i rolled a car and you probably don't want to try it. stupidly thought i was a race car driver.
i don't drive that way anymore.
i have removed my front stabilizer and feel ok on the road.
haven't dumped it on a trail(yet).
pretty conservative.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:12 AM »
Thanks Guys, That helped a lot.

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »
ive had my 2 dr (stock with 235/75R15's) on 3 wheels but thats hard to do, (off camber, way to much throttle and 2nd gear) only time ive felt it try to tip, ive had it sideways at 60km/h aroun a 90* corner. havent had any more body roll then the girlfriends neon... never felt like it was unsafe
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline Armour

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »
I think this is a common misconseption of suzuki. People are constantly asking me " Aren't you afraid it's going to tip over?"
89 Sidekick. 33's.  Lincoln Locker,4.24 T Case, 5.13 gears. Warn M8000 winch.
96 Tracker. 39.5's Locked 44's front and rear, 6.5 t case, 4.10 gears.

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »
A DAM MINI-VAN TIPS OVER EASIER.  NOBODY THINKS TWICE ABOUT PUTTING THERE KIDS IN ONE OF THOSE
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
Hey pepatt,

I just got your comment on Me working for Consumer Reports. Funny... I watched the YouTube Videos and it would make sense if I did, but my question was just a concern. Those Videos helped me and everybodys elses comments made me feel at ease. Ive had my car for almost 4 years now and it been nothing but great except for no AC. But when I changed too my New tires, it seemed like I had too much grip. (If that makes sense) I know having a good grip on the pavement is great, but I think it was hard for me to get use to the better turning and stopping.

Offline pepatt

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 10:40:33 AM »
...But when I changed too my New tires, it seemed like I had too much grip. (If that makes sense) I know having a good grip on the pavement is great, but I think it was hard for me to get use to the better turning and stopping.

Yeah, when I changed to the 235/75r15's It seemed to drift a bit and get squirrelly under hard braking. A good alignment cured all.

I think a lot of people worry (falsely) about tipping. I think you'd be way more likely to spin out of control due to short wheel base (of course I have a two-door!) :(
pepatt