Hello Guest

Thin oil

• 10 Replies

Offline museboy07

Thin oil
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:35:16 PM »
I just changed my oil yesterday and i had drained some out today to put some additives in it and when i saw the oil that came out it looked very thin.  Its not milky or anything but just thin. It was also pretty black.  Now i do run my engine kinda hard due to awesome sound the cherry bomb makes but after only one day of new oil i didnt think it should look like that....any idea on why its like that?
1994 Tracker, 2in Ironman springs w/ 1in spacers on top, soon to have custom diff drop brackets, 31x10.5-15 All Tarrains, Pro Comp long travel shocks, KYB performance struts, strut mount flip w/2in extensions, 3in rear a-arm spacer, ...DD

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
Re: Thin oil
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:01:06 PM »
If your using a oil additive like engine restorer, it will make your oil a little darker. As far as the oil being thin, I'm not sure!
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Custom front and back bumpers
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:36:55 PM »
Was the engine warmer this time than when you usually change it?  Makes a big difference in viscosity.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline museboy07

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:43:45 PM »
i did change it when the engine was hot...i think i changed it when it was cold last time...
1994 Tracker, 2in Ironman springs w/ 1in spacers on top, soon to have custom diff drop brackets, 31x10.5-15 All Tarrains, Pro Comp long travel shocks, KYB performance struts, strut mount flip w/2in extensions, 3in rear a-arm spacer, ...DD

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »
Then, as long as you're also changing the filter when you change the oil, you've probably got nothing to worry about.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:46:10 AM »
Is this a 1.3 engine with a mechanical fuel pump??

Did you check the dipstick?

If not, check the dipstick ASAP!

If you notice that there is MORE oil in the engine than when you first changed it, you have a broken pump diaphragm in the fuel pump!  The "extra" oil is actually gasoline that is entering the lubriaction system though the fuel pump and thinning out the oil!   Another indication of this condition is mysterious moisture around/dripping from the vent tube on the fuel pump.

Until you replace the pump, you need to stop driving the truck because gasoline-thined oil will turn the engine into a pile of junk in notime.

Been there, done that, bought the new engine.  :(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:47:54 AM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »
I like Lucas as an additive. Thickens the oil a bit but mostly sticks to parts to keep them lubricated. I do agree with ack.  If your oil level has increased, the only thing that could do that would be gas or coolant. Hot oil is always thinner but definitely check your level. It should not increase unless you have a carb or fuel injection dumping gas through itself or it's pump or you have a bad head gasket and the coolant is seeping into the oil.

-Adams
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline museboy07

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 08:08:31 AM »
No, its not a 1.3 its a 1.6 and ill check the dip stick today but it usually stays the same on the stick.  Only changes a little cause i have a small leak

Offline satan inside

• bodylifts are for rednecks
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0&C=5

the holy grail of oil discussion

http://www.auto-rx.com/

one of the few additives that work

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »
No, its not a 1.3 its a 1.6 and ill check the dip stick today but it usually stays the same on the stick.  Only changes a little cause i have a small leak

Electric fuel pump....  Nevermind.   ;D
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:54:17 AM »
Just a thought, run a can of motor flush through it for about 30 minutes (I think it's diesel?)  Drain it and add fresh oil. Run it. See how the oil looks after 500 miles.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb