Hello Guest

The cancer that is RUST.

• 8 Replies

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
The cancer that is RUST.
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
I'm going to a guy today who does body repair and get an estimate on how much this will set me back.  For a 1991 I'm not surprised, it had to happen eventually.  Check out these pics:

My Sidekick is really starting to show it's age.  It's starting to develop small patches of rust every where else on the body, I had to rebuild the head on the motor last September with all new valves at 167770 miles.  It still still runs and looks pretty damn good considering it's age.

If all goes well in the next two days, I'll be getting a 2002 XL-7 with 39767 miles on it for quite a bargain.  I'm still keeping the Sidekick though.

Offline Cuthulu

• I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
Re: The cancer that is RUST.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Holy Road Noise Batman!     :o

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »
easy to check tire wear while driving!!!
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »
You wont't have to roll down the window to throw empty beer cans out anymore  :laugh:
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline pepatt

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
You wont't have to roll down the window to throw empty beer cans out anymore  :laugh:
You could run a beer can snorkel back to the holes!
Hmmmm. I might just CUT some holes mine!
pepatt

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
Holy Road Noise Batman!     :o

That's what kick ass loud music is for!  ;)

Offline Cuthulu

• I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »
Oh I know, I have my tickets to see Maiden here in May.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »
I can tell you what mine cost.  :^)  About $400.  My 92 had same holes and basically the rear floor was collapsed from weakened metal.  I had to drop the tank and take a sawzall and cut the whole floor out.  Then it cost about $300 for sheet metal and $100 for a wire fed welder from harbor freight.  Check your floor boards right behind the driver and passenger seats as mine had some holes there too.  It was quite a mess.  And if I had to do it again I wouldn't.  :^)  I would inspect the vehicle before buying it on ebay.  ha ha  All that being said I have a lot of fun in this vehicle.  Its the nicest piece of junk I have ever owned.   ;D  Thank god I have it otherwise I wouldn't know what to do with all the extra repair money.  ha ha 

They make those restoration projects look so easy on TV.  :^)

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »
Well I got the job done.  $550 later the guys I took it too, cut out all the metal with rust on it, put in new sheet metal and welded those suckers on.  Took two guys had to do it because they did not want to drop the gas tank in order to save time so they had one guy guide the other has he did the welds as not to blow up the car and themselves in the process.

I'm happy now, this little rig has been my best friend since 1993 and I really don't want to see it go just yet...even though I now own a kick ass 2002 XL-7...it doesn't touch my Sidekick in sentimental value.

I'll take some pics of the job tomorrow at work so you guys can see before I put the mats and carpeting all back.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:52:53 PM by Maiden Hell »