Hello Guest

Proud of my first Suzuki! Newbie questions...

• 23 Replies

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Proud of my first Suzuki! Newbie questions...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 07:12:16 PM »
Thanks. Good idea. What about keeping the holes from leaking?

Yeah, I was hoping for at least 225/75s. Do you think I could pull those off without a lift?

I cant wait to try it out! I just hope the bug doesn't get me too bad... ;)
1997 SIDEKICK SPORT, stock for now...

Offline strvger

• Livin' on the edge... of the Great Northwoods !!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »
i used the Permatex Black adhesive sealant at each of the holes and have had no leaks whatsoever.  good stuff and worth the extra few cents over lesser brands i think.

as for the tires, 225's should be ok.  might have to trim some of the plastic in the front wheel wells if you get a heavy mud-n-snow type tread that could rub.  put 'em on and turn 'em lock to lock and see what happens.  i think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

have fun!!   :)
'91 tracker, 1.6 8v 5-spd, 1.5 in susp lift,  DT header and 2 in exhaust, 235/75 AT's on 15x7 Turbines, 1st prototype: Ibuiltbumpers.com trackick front bumper!,  other mods coming soon!

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 05:04:25 AM »
Sounds good. I think I'll do some browsing at home depot this afternoon.

Has anyone ever seen a removeable rack that would fit this truck, such as those you see made by yakima or thule? That was another option I was considering.

As for the tires, I was planning on something all terrain. Nothing too crazy on the tread cause this will still be my daily driver. The tires I had last on my jeep were some of those Walmart special "liberators" and they had plenty of tread for the offroading that I do. Any recomendation on a good reasonable all terrain?

Thanks

Offline strvger

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 05:11:10 PM »
well, if those tires worked well for your jeep then i'm sure they would do at least as well on your zuk.  just about any M&S or all-terrain tire will work well for your stated purposes.  just make sure there is plenty of siping for the rain slick roads is all.

as for the the rack, i plan on going back to Menards or Home Depot and checking out some of their stainless steel, deep shelving racks to find one about 30"-36" wide x 48" long or so.  hopefully find one that is about 3"-4" deep.  easy enough to mount to the bars and will hold way more weight than the roof was intended to handle.
'91 tracker, 1.6 8v 5-spd, 1.5 in susp lift,  DT header and 2 in exhaust, 235/75 AT's on 15x7 Turbines, 1st prototype: Ibuiltbumpers.com trackick front bumper!,  other mods coming soon!

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
You're probably right.

I see you are running 235/75s with your 1.5" lift. Do they rub any? Do you think I could get away with 235/70s or 225/70s on my sport kick with no lift?

Offline strvger

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 06:13:22 PM »
my tires did rub the thin plastic pieces in front at full lock, so i just cut them back.  no big deal and you could hardly tell it.  getting a new bumper and now all that plastic bumper cover stuff is gone anyway.
i would think any of the sizes you mentioned should work for you.  just find the ones you like, have them mount the front ones first in the size you want and turn the steering wheel to see how it goes. 

good luck and have fun     ;D

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 07:45:26 PM »
Have you gotten a readout on the CEL code?  A lot of parts stores in our area will read them for free.  My '96 (not Sport model) was throwing an EGR code.  It turned out that the steel tube  between the head and the EGR valve and the passage in the head was plugged with carbon.  A half hour with a wire and some carb cleaner solved the problem. 

Check your tire pressure.  My truck gets low 20's when inflated to the factory "recommended" pressure.  If I pump them up to about 32, I get between 28 and 30 MPG (but it rides like a brick...)

I am running 225x75 15's on my Tracker with no lift without any problem, but I think the Sport came with 16 inch wheels...

Check with Digger.  He is selling spacers, 2" lift for under $100, but I don't know if they will fit the Sport. 

You may not be getting a lot of replies because the Sport is different in some respects, and a lot of people here aren't real familiar with them...   
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 05:53:12 AM »
Thanks jzap. The previous owner said he got a readout and it was the O2 sensor, but he didn't say which one. I think I'll go have it checked this afternoon.

Interesting about the tire pressure. I never knew that would affect gas mileage. How much more tire pressure is usually safe to add past the factory recommended pressure without affecting tire wear?

yeah, mine has 16" wheels, which I hate because the tires cost more...   :( I think I've decided on either 225/70s or 235/70s. Hopefully these will work

I think the spacers will work well for me. Are there any problems or things I have to look out for when using spacers? I've never had a vehicle with any kind of lift before. Also, are there any other factory parts(such as shocks, springs, etc) that wear and cause the vehicle to sag or be lower than it originally was?

Yeah, I hate that the sport is different, cause like you say, it is a bit harder to get info. I didnt realize the sport was much different until after I had alread bought it...

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 02:18:03 PM »
The 70 series tire is wider and lower than a 75.  A 70 might rub where a 75 might not. 

The 75 may also be better off road because it doesn't present as wide a surface when you attack sand or mud.  In theory, that means it won't bog down as quickly as a taller, narrower tire.   You can also go the other way and get too narrow a tire that cuts into the soft surface.  The idea is to find a balance.

I would suggest you check with Digger on this board about the spacers.  He may have some idea about how it affects the Sport.     

Good luck with the tires and the CEL.
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper