Hello Guest

Add a leaf problems

• 8 Replies

burke

Add a leaf problems
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
So, my springs were sagging and I put in the JC whitney add a leafs front and rear.  They added 2 inches of lift I was not sure I wanted but I decided to finish the job anyway.  Now my z link runs into the springs when I turn hard right and the steering is going to need to be adjusted now that the arm is angled upward.

What are my options?  Can I extend the z link or do I need to go out and buy the over the top setup?

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
Re: Add a leaf problems
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
either over the top or drop pitman arm
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:37:38 PM »
I would recommend at least half of the OTT setup.  Sky (http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/) has a nice kit, as does Trail Tough.

Other people have modified a Mercedes steering setup into an OTT configuration.  A few searches should find you instructions on how to do that.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

burke

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:14:36 PM »
OK.  So I am going to put shorter shackles on since the ones that are on there are 6.5 inches center to center.  That should lower it back down to its original height and make the z link horizontal again.

My next question is how concerned should I be about the helper springs?  The guy at trail tough said that they would not work very well and would crack at the helper spring interface.  He also said that they would royally screw up my steering.

Are these all things I should be concerned about?  Or is he just trying to sell me springs?

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
the guys at trail tough won't lie to you just to make a sale. you need to remember those guys have almost built as many sammis as suzuki. very trustworthy.
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 01:17:54 AM »
What do you mean by the helper spring?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

burke

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:56:36 PM »
The helper spring is an extra leaf you can buy that generally has more arch than stock and is thicker than stock to force your springs back to stock or greater arch.

I will probobly leave the setup on for powerfest then decide what to do after that.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »
Ah, I was wondering if you meant that or you where going to put the overload spring from the rear on the front.   ;D

When my fronts started to sag I actually added a second long spring to the spring pack.  I just called Hawk and they shipped one over to me.  It helped give the front end a little bit less drop and using a longer spring it didn't affect the ride.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

burke

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »
Oooo.  Good idea.  Unfortuneatly I put in the one that is just longer than the short one so there is a tiny bit of recurve on the longer springs.  It may not hold forever but it aught to get me through powerfest. ;D