Hello Guest

Speedo and Speed Sensor???

• 4 Replies

Offline techie

• On the mountain anytime
Speedo and Speed Sensor???
« on: August 08, 2005, 08:59:20 AM »
Trying to find a speedo with a speed sensor form my Sami. Put in a 16v and the speedo went, sensor still works, I guess, cause I don't stall. My Q, will any suzuki speedo with a sensor fit in the Sami Instrument cluster and work or am I stuck with finding one for the year of the enginge?

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: Speedo and Speed Sensor???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:08:22 AM »
Any should work, all they are is a reed swicth, the magnet which is in the round thing next to it just pulls the contact together making a pulse, so I would say that they are all the same or close enough.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 12:37:58 PM »
Any should work, all they are is a reed swicth, the magnet which is in the round thing next to it just pulls the contact together making a pulse, so I would say that they are all the same or close enough.

Wouldn't this depend on the year? The OBD1 stuff would work with a reed switch but doesn't the OBD2 use the reloctor (SP?) wheel input that is something like 4x the pulses of the read switch?

HTH, -Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ZeusZuki

• I like em low with big feet. New Zealand.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:51:41 PM »
I ripped around in my off road Kick for a long time without a speedo / instrument panel and it worked fine. It just seemed to run a little rough down low, but that was about it.
Apparently the speedo sensor ( reed switch ) lets the ECU know when the motor is accelerating/ decelerating or at idle and makes small adjustments to fueling.
Putting an instrument panel back in did help it to run better though ( it developed a small hesitation down low. Felt like the engine was loading up a little :-\ ).

I unscrewed a reed switch assembly from a Kick speedo and screwed it into a Sammy speedo for a project i was working on - too easy, all the holes etc where already there. They just hadn't been used until then. Ran a couple of wires off the switch to the ECU and hey presto - all done ;)

These experiments where on an early model Kick though - 92 model. I believe the later model stuff is a bit more complicated ( only what I have heard though ) :-\
1600 Escudo / Kick, beam front, coils all round, 37 MTR's, 97" wheelbase, locked fr & rr,twin stick, front stock ratio, Calmini 5.14 t box rear, Warn XD9000i winch, blah blah!

2.0 V6 auto, Calmini 3" kit, 33" jandles, LT struts, blah blah

2.5 V6 man GV, Calmini 2.5" kit, 235/85x16 jandle

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:06:30 PM »
I just thought that he would be messing with an obd1, otherwise with messing with the gas tank sensor and all on a obdII system why would he be asking a simple question about vss,I dunno?  ;D 
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.