Hello Guest

Spare wheel size?

• 4 Replies

Offline Jebers53

• 1996 Tracker
Spare wheel size?
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
Wanting a wider look for my 96 tracker, so looking to go with 7 or 8 inch width wheels when I go to new 235/75/15's. Question is,do I have to buy new wheel for my spare? Or is it ok to run the stock wheel with my old 215/75, for a bit if I get a flat?
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 5 speed manual 2 inch Jeff spacer lift 235/75/15 BFG AT
ZOR front bumper/stinger
2008 Provan Tiger Camper 4x4 on Chevy 3500 HD Duramax/Allison

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: Spare wheel size?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
As long as you haven't got a spool or locker in the rear axle, you'd be ok putting a different height tire on the rear.  You could run a different height tire on the front too, as long as the front doesn't have a locker/spool, or if it does, as long as you don't run it in 4wd or with the hubs locked in.
The wheel size won't really make any difference in any aspect, it is all about tire height.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
Whilst Sky is 100% correct, if you're going to run a different size spare, and that includes "space saver spares" aka "donuts", you should be aware that running with different height tires on the drive axle for long periods is detrimental to the health of your differential.

So if your spare has a different height to the rest of your tires, use it as a spare - and keep the usage to the minimum required.

Personally - I run the same size tires on all five wheels on my four wheel drives - I do have a sport hatch which has alloy rims fitted with wide low profile tires and the OEM sized steel wheel & tire as a spare, but the wheels & tires there were very carefully selected to maintain the tire height (and gearing).
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »
Whilst Sky is 100% correct, if you're going to run a different size spare, and that includes "space saver spares" aka "donuts", you should be aware that running with different height tires on the drive axle for long periods is detrimental to the health of your differential.

So if your spare has a different height to the rest of your tires, use it as a spare - and keep the usage to the minimum required.

Personally - I run the same size tires on all five wheels on my four wheel drives - I do have a sport hatch which has alloy rims fitted with wide low profile tires and the OEM sized steel wheel & tire as a spare, but the wheels & tires there were very carefully selected to maintain the tire height (and gearing).

Right, I don't recommend running a different sized spare for extended periods of time.  Just long enough to get to where you can get the original tire repaired/replaced.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Jebers53

• 1996 Tracker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
Much appreciated guys
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 5 speed manual 2 inch Jeff spacer lift 235/75/15 BFG AT
ZOR front bumper/stinger
2008 Provan Tiger Camper 4x4 on Chevy 3500 HD Duramax/Allison