Hello Guest

So how many broken bolts

• 8 Replies

Offline fullsink18

• Wheel Me!
So how many broken bolts
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
I was wondering how many bolt head you guys have snapped of or how many screw heads you have destroyed working on you suzuki. 

I have probably messed up 10 of the screw heads mainly taking out the headlights replaced those with bolts. About 5 or so bolt heads.  Every time i take something out now I use some never seize when putting it back together. 

94 2dr kick 8v
-     Full set of Calmini's skid plates, calmini header and full exhaust, k&n filter, sky idler arm, calmini idler arm brace and truss with stabalizer, lock-rite rear locker, Calmini 3"  BL, 2" Digger Spacers, Shrockworks bumper, chicago electric 8,000lb winch, 31" Grabber AT2, 15x7 2

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
Re: So how many broken bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:25:21 PM »
I've messed up my fair share.  the worse are those damn phillips head suckers.
twenty years of road dirt  holds them in like glue. I replace them with allen or hex head
never the same

Ross
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
Ya  those phillips head screws are a pain the as* pack full of everything, and it drys like cement.
and when you can get bite on the screw.  Theres the chance you might break the head off of it.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »
To many to count, and when alot of those were waterpump heads...... ok nevermind I dont want to relive that...
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »
I've messed up my fair share.  the worse are those damn phillips head suckers.
twenty years of road dirt  holds them in like glue. I replace them with allen or hex head
never the same

Ross

What I found works great on those philips head large screws and bolts is one of those impact drive srew drivers(not an air ratchet, but a tool that looks like a screwdriver, but the handle is made of solid steel, and you strike the back of it with a hammer, and it breaks the screw loose.
One of these:
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:20:49 PM »
Thats what i normally use to, but its also really easy for that tool to bust the heads off of the screw.

But when they dont break the head they get the job done.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 05:11:43 PM »
They have a tool for that?  I usually just hit a screwdriver with a hammer...

Not sure how many I've broken off, but I know I've sheared off 3 sets of hub bolts.  :P
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline fullsink18

• Wheel Me!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »
I have used tons of PB Blaster on them and still broke them.  Usually the phillips screws are rust and they strip out.  I was lucky when I broke a bolt in my front housing on the driver side mount cause the housing was toast anyway and already had a replacement. 

Where is a good place to get grade 8 replacement bolts. 
94 2dr kick 8v
-     Full set of Calmini's skid plates, calmini header and full exhaust, k&n filter, sky idler arm, calmini idler arm brace and truss with stabalizer, lock-rite rear locker, Calmini 3"  BL, 2" Digger Spacers, Shrockworks bumper, chicago electric 8,000lb winch, 31" Grabber AT2, 15x7 2

Offline ed oorklep

• 1992 Suzuki Vitara
    • Suzuki Vitara 4x4
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »
The only ones I've really broken are the ones that hold on the bumper cover, after those I used stuff on it to get them loose and I never broke one again (not even on the '89 parts tracker I have that was is so rusted out you can see through allmost everything  ;)).
http://www.suzukivitara4x4.nl
1992 Suzuki Vitara
8cm Body-lift, 33 12.5 R15 General Grabber MT's.
ARB Bull Bar.
3" Suspension lift.