Hello Guest

Sidekick 4 dr. roof rack and fender flares

• 20 Replies

Offline pitttracker

Sidekick 4 dr. roof rack and fender flares
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
My daughter recently purchased a 93 4 door Sidekick JX and is in need of some advice on the purchase of fender flares and a roof rack. 

The original owner put some wider wheels and tires on the vehicle a a couple of years ago and they stick out about 1 inch past the fender.  I have searched this site as well as the net and there is not much out there unless you want a really wide flare.  The stock Suzuki flares are no longer available according to our local dealer.  EGR appears to make a rear flare but no front.  Bulk flare material is available but I don't know what it would look like.

This vehicle has no factory roof rack.  Are there other options other than the Thule one? 

Thoughts and comments please.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: Sidekick 4 dr. roof rack and fender flares
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »
For factory accessories that are no longer available 'New' give Hawk Strictly Suzuki a call at  1-888-SAMURAI. They probably have what you need on site.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

spyder0069

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »
Get the JC Whitney universal flares.  They look good and they are easy to install.  They come in four strips and you just cut the excess.  I have the 3" without with support and it worked for my offroad tires but they offer them in smaller widths too.  I think it was about $60 or less shipped to my door.

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:27:34 PM »
Yakima used to make a rack for them (I have the setup), but they discontinued the special clips for them a few years back.  After a few weeks of searching every website i could think of, i found a set of clips, and the other parts were pretty easy to buy.  It's kinda pricey though.  Neighborhood of $300.

I had an OE rack which i sold, and it looked really good.  They're for sale used every now and then, but not that often.

I've used the flexible universal flares before, and they worked just fine.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »
I have sportrack cross bars on mine. they sit just inside the rails on the roof and clamp to the door openings. work well and stay tight. I also have the sportrack basket.
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline nuts4hotwheels

• Black Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:48:52 AM »
How much were the sportrack bars?  I am looking for something cheap to carry my fishing kayak
Black Sunshine
1998 4 dr Chevy Tracker 4x2 1.6L-16V
-K&N Performance Air Filter
-Thrush Glasspack -235/75-15 Pathfinder Trail A/P Tires  -Sony Xplod Cd Player -400W Visonik amplifier -2 10" Visonik Subwoofers *******************************

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »
I looked for a roof rack for mine last year.  The Sportrack looked like the best deal, but I could not find one in the US.  They apparently are a Canadian product without a US dealer (at least a few months ago).  Thule apparently won't let dealers cut prices by more than about 5% off list, so those are not cheap--about $250 was the best I could find.

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
I put Trail Tough Samurai Flares on my 2-door, but I don't think they'd be as easy to install on a 4-door!

Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline pitttracker

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »
Chet, which Sportrack bar did you use?  I think they go from 1-9.  Their chart does not list a bar for the 4 door Sidekick - at least the one at Canadian Tire didn't?  The basket is nice too and quite inexpensive compared to the Thule one.  Any pics of your install?

Reb, Sportrack does have dealers in the US.  Go to their site and enter your US Zip code in the Dealer Locator section.  I found a couple just south of me in Wash. State.

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »
Reb, Sportrack does have dealers in the US.  Go to their site and enter your US Zip code in the Dealer Locator section.  I found a couple just south of me in Wash. State.

Just my luck.  I thought I needed one quickly and bought the Thule.

BTW, the Mondale Sport Rack number for my '98 was 6-A02306.  Don't know whether that is valid for yours, though.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »
Someone has a white Tracker with a nice looking rack on it.  They posted a few months back.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline pitttracker

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »
Hey thanks for the comments folks.

Anyone else want to weigh in on the fender flare issue.

Saw the picture of the white Tracker Drone637.  I think the rack is a Rola from Australia.  Don't know if there is a dealer in NA.

Chet, any chance of some pics of your install.

Thanks again.

Offline JayN

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
here's my sportrack sysytem on my 4dr. i also got the basket extension to make it bigger.
think when it was all said and done i paid about $750cdn for it all.
works awsome though, will look better when i install the coil spacers and some bigger tires.LOL
96 sport, safari rack, lift
1970 gmc truck
1950 dodge truck
1974 corolla

Offline pitttracker

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
JayN, that's the rack we're looking for.  The only place around here that sells the Sportrack is Canadian Tire and they list racks 1-9 or something like that and no listing for the 4 door Sidekick.  Do you recall which one you have?  Thanks.

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
Someone has a white Tracker with a nice looking rack on it.  They posted a few months back.

That was a guy from up my way somewhere.  The brand is SURCO i'm pretty sure, and they have universal brackets and baskets, etc.  Lots of options and they aren't very expensive.

http://www.surcoinc.com/
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com