Hello Guest

Side draft intakes

• 24 Replies

Offline NEW_ZUKER

• yay, my zuk is about done.!!!!!
Side draft intakes
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:42:42 AM »
So I havnt written here in like forever, Ive been a bit buisy with basic training and the Army!! So now Im in the "beautiful hillsides of afghanistan" on my 15 month paid vacation, and an Infantryman, may I add. Anyways, im gonna totally fix up my other hard top zuk and Ive got a big question about these side draft intake systems. Iknow they dont stall on inclines, a big plus, and that they add HP. Other than that i found one guy that sells the full kit on ebay for like $1500 :laugh:  yeah I know right, I can buy like 3 sammys for that much money!!! Or throw a V8 in the damn thing. Ive heard realy good things about the Hawk strickly suzuki stuff, and the Samuraiguy.com stuff, but i cant find any info on the Hawks' site, and can't even find the Samuraiguy.com site. Any info on where I can get one of these, for less than the price of a first born child??  thanks a lot, I missed you zuk guys a ton!

current parts ordered for the the "project";

Engin rebuild
Rocky Road 8in. lift+ coil conv. (deluxe system)
Trail Crawler 6.5 T-case gears
Calmini "C3" front bumper
Calmini rear bumper+tire carrier
33x9.5r15 BFG ATs
Cragar 15x8x3.75 street lock rims (are these a little too wide, or too much backspacing?)
Trail Tough full skid plate

working on getting better T-case mount; power steering; Birfield rings; rear disc conv. and some other junk
'02 Toyota Tundra 2.5'' inch coilovers front, and 2.5'' in rear lift of blocks and billstein 5150 absorbers.

'88.5 sammy tin top, all bone stock except for home made intake, aluminum handles, and cd player.... more to come soon, trust me >:D

'88 Soft top sammy, bone stock, trail tough exh

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Side draft intakes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:29 AM »
Go with the kit, it's got everything you need, and will wake up your Sammy and make it fly. And, BTW, keep your head down and your eyes open !
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

phloop

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
Before you spend that kind of coin on a sidedraft system check out the MS1 and MS2 set-ups from ZOR. They use either a 40mm or 44mm HD side draft CV carb. I just replaced my weber with a MS2/Screaming Eagle 44mm carb and it runs way good now. Have just under half of what that side draft will cost you and that includes a couple of tools I needed.

Try this http://www.zuksoffroad.net/samurai_engine.htm .

Be safe over there.

Offline NEW_ZUKER

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »
WOW I totaly forgot about ZOR what the heck was I thinking ???   Well both systems look pretty bad ass, and the price is definately better on the my-side systems. But which one of these would give me the greater power??  And is the powder difference really worth the extra moolah? I might drive this thing to local OHV parks and what nots, so I definately want more power (who doesnt right  ::)  ) And plus, I live in the mostly pinko-commi, liberal, ass licking state of CA, so they dont really like the military, hunters, firearms, and you need a smog check everytime you start your freaking truck. (cheater pipes rule) so I do need the greater possibility of passing smog checks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:58:52 PM by NEW_ZUKER »
'02 Toyota Tundra 2.5'' inch coilovers front, and 2.5'' in rear lift of blocks and billstein 5150 absorbers.

'88.5 sammy tin top, all bone stock except for home made intake, aluminum handles, and cd player.... more to come soon, trust me >:D

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »
And is the powder difference really worth the extra moolah?

For $1500, I'd consider a turbo or engine swap (or both). I think the ZOR kit is $400, but it's incomplete. Not sure how much the Audi or VW (or whatever it is) parts cost in addition to the kit. For that $$$, I'd rather get lockers or better tires... especially if you need to deal with smog.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:43:04 PM »
WOW I totaly forgot about ZOR what the heck was I thinking ???   Well both systems look pretty bad ass, and the price is definately better on the my-side systems. But which one of these would give me the greater power??  And is the powder difference really worth the extra moolah? I might drive this thing to local OHV parks and what nots, so I definately want more power (who doesnt right  ::)  ) And plus, I live in the mostly pinko-commi, liberal, ass licking state of CA, so they dont really like the military, hunters, firearms, and you need a smog check everytime you start your freaking truck. (cheater pipes rule) so I do need the greater possibility of passing smog checks.

Do you have annual smog checks?  Or is it just when selling\buying a rig that you have to pass a smog check.
In the part of cali live in you only have to worry about a smog check when buying a rig.  If you are worried about smog checks you can always keep the stock carb and slap it back on there to pass your emissions test.  It would defiantly be a pain in the ars having to do that regularly....but it is cali nothing about this state is simple.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:55 PM »
Do you have annual smog checks?  Or is it just when selling\buying a rig that you have to pass a smog check.

Buy / Sell, and every 2 years for me.

In the part of cali live in you only have to worry about a smog check when buying a rig.

Where is this? I might have to "move" there myself?
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
Instead of the Birfield rings you might want to just pick up a set of Chromoly axles from Trail Tough.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline NEW_ZUKER

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »
The thing about the engine swap and turbo kit (dont get me wrong bigger is allways better, and I have a trd on my tundra, and mom's got a Lingenfelter Z06) but I want to do this under the vehicles own power, just to prove that I can!!  and I'm starting to lean towards the side draft for 1500....  And it wont be all that bad, im getting a bit more change for getting shot at and not just sitting in garrison, so I might as well build it so I dont have to be wanting to change anything when i get back. and the chromoly axles... I was thinking about that and thought that the rings would hold up to 33's, but if Im told otherwise, then chromoly here I come

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
For 33", get the chromoly from TT. They're normally $500, but they're on sale for $250. You can make up for the lack of power with t-case gearing.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline NEW_ZUKER

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
YEAH looks like Im going to have me a new set of axles then ;)  And I allready have some 6.5 t-case gears from Rocky Road getting installed as we speak. and on payday, I'm totaly going with the side drafts, I hat stalling on inclines, and it looks as though this one gets more power than the my fi, and it looks cooler :laugh:  yeah I know what oyu all are thinking, but Im still a kid, let me do my thing :'(

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »
YEAH looks like Im going to have me a new set of axles then ;) 

Yep, I ordered a pair.  Just haven't bothered to install them.  But they make great spares.  :D  The advantage of the TT axles is you don't have to buy the Heavy Duty axle shafts separately to compliment your birfield rings.  You also don't need to grind out the inside of your knuckle.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »

Buy / Sell, and every 2 years for me.

In the part of cali live in you only have to worry about a smog check when buying a rig.

Where is this? I might have to "move" there myself?

Eureka CA
Good ol true Northern California, home of the lost coast.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
I've been through your neighborhood a few times. Never wheeled there though. I'm down near Sacrametno, CA.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

phloop

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »
And is the powder difference really worth the extra moolah?

For $1500, I'd consider a turbo or engine swap (or both). I think the ZOR kit is $400, but it's incomplete. Not sure how much the Audi or VW (or whatever it is) parts cost in addition to the kit. For that $$$, I'd rather get lockers or better tires... especially if you need to deal with smog.

The powder coating is only on the MS2, the MS1 is an adaptor that bolts where the carb bolts to. The ZOR kit is $250 for the MS and $299 for the MS2. And the only thing missing in MY's kit is the carb. If you by the new carb from him he will mod it for you as well. The only thing I needed to by was a thermostat and a couple of hose clamps to replace the funky stock hose clamps.

And with the CV sidedraft carb you do not have any fuel issues as you can get with the weber. I think you may not be happy with the $$ spent on the side draft system you are looking at for it's performance return.