Hello Guest

Satellite Radio antenna in a soft top

• 6 Replies

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
Satellite Radio antenna in a soft top
« on: January 12, 2006, 06:18:23 AM »
   I got a satellite radio for my birthday for my daily driver Tracker.  (WooHoo!)  But where in the world do I put the antenna?  Instructions say on a metal surface like roof or trunk of a car.  All I've got is the hood!!  Seems like the heat wouldn't be good there, not to mention how goofy it might look.  I've had it temporarily mounted in the center of the dash against the windshield and it seems to work fine there, except when the heat is on high!   ??? ???  Moved it back on the dash to the front edge of the dish to get it away from the vents, but that wasn't any better.  Actually seems to pick up signal through the canvas top, which was surprising.  Anybody else have one on their soft top?
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline Cwkick

Re: Satellite Radio antenna in a soft top
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:46:19 AM »
I don't have one, but Kansascitytracker does.  He hid his antenna behind his spare tire on top of the tire bracket.  You can't see it at all! That would help keep theives out of you Tracker!

Cwkick

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »
My antenna is under my soft top on the targa bar of my kick. The wire is easy to run and it picks up great through the vinyl top.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
I don't have one, but Kansascitytracker does.  He hid his antenna behind his spare tire on top of the tire bracket.  You can't see it at all! That would help keep theives out of you Tracker!

Cwkick

I have seen it (but have not heard it). The only way you can see it is to remove the rear window on the top.  Apparently it works.   I'll pop by his work and get more info or have him post his experiences.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:16:54 PM »
My antenna is under my soft top on the targa bar of my kick. The wire is easy to run and it picks up great through the vinyl top.

Zig

What about when the top is folding back?  Does the metal header and additional material interfer?

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »

Cwkick

I have seen it (but have not heard it). The only way you can see it is to remove the rear window on the top.  Apparently it works.   I'll pop by his work and get more info or have him post his experiences.

Thanks! I'd appreciate it.  I think I bought my Sunport top from him!

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 04:10:26 AM »

Zig

What about when the top is folding back?  Does the metal header and additional material interfer?

To be honest, I dont know  :-\ I am trying to remember, but I think it still works OK. I usually just take my top off, but I believe that I have ran folded back a few times since we cut the FM antenna off my kick in Moab and it still picked up OK. Just be sure to get to slim mount antenna that comes in the newer mounting kits (some stores will try to stick you wth an old kit with a big ugly antenna. I bought Sirius Satelite just before Moab last year and have not regreted it yet. I like it so well that I have been living in FL since late Oct/ and I could not tell you about a single local radio station :P

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick