Hello Guest

Sammy parking brake question

• 3 Replies

Offline 144man

Sammy parking brake question
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:19:43 PM »
'87 bone-stock Samurai.  After I release the parking brake, I hear a loud pop/click from the transmission tunnel when I touch the brake pedal.

It used to be a beach vehicle, so I'm guessing something underneath is coroded and/or frozen, but the e-brake doesn't seem to be sticking, just this pop every time I release it and step on the brake.

Any clues?

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
Re: Sammy parking brake question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
Worn out (internally rusted) brake cable.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline SineCredulitas

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »
Try parking it in gear, on a flat spot, then see if brake makes noise without e-brake use...
88.5 TT, dd, 1.6 16v, 5sp, a/c, SPUA, 30" MTR's

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
'87 bone-stock Samurai.  After I release the parking brake, I hear a loud pop/click from the transmission tunnel when I touch the brake pedal.

It used to be a beach vehicle, so I'm guessing something underneath is coroded and/or frozen, but the e-brake doesn't seem to be sticking, just this pop every time I release it and step on the brake.

Any clues?

One of my samurais does the same thing.  Mine sounds like it is back at the wheel.  Probably just the pkg. brake pieces hanging up a little.  The ebrake works fine and doesn't drag once released, so I have not been concerned with finding out why it does it.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.